Powered by Blogger.

Money Doesn't Buy Love Random 5 Friday

Yes, I know it's Saturday, but my computer was misbehaving, so I'm a little late to one of my favorite parties, Random 5 Friday. But I'm glad I can still join the fun.

1) It's been quite a few days. We had snow, freezing rain, thunder and a beautiful sunny day yesterday. I couldn't wait to get out of the house and was thrilled to find my friends from the Sanitation Department cleaning the streets and bus stops.

In the right corner you'll see some of the enormous puddles that made crossing streets our own Olympic  sport yesterday. On the other side of the street I got stuck between a snow plow, a puddle and two feet of snow. I was so thankful when a woman helped pull me over the snowbank.

2) I got to the grocery yesterday and found this scene. 

...a salad shortage. There were also #nobananas. Luckily I'd bought bananas and lettuce on Tuesday. 

3) I'm continuing to watch "Downton Abbey." Yes, they have a huge and beautiful estate, but money doesn't buy happiness or love, does it? Sorrow seems to be the lot in life of most of upstairs and the servants don't seem to be having much luck either. I'm especially concerned for Lady Edith and Anna. 

4) Of course it does seem that every man in England is romantically interested in Lady Mary. Yes, she is pretty, but I'm not sure of the reason for the complete overabundance of romantic interest. 

5) Aunt Buttercup is stopping by for the fifth random thought and saying a fond farewell to Shirley Temple Black. She brought so much happiness to America and then went on to a continuing life of purpose. Auntie's not mentioning any names, but you know who you are and you know you can take a leaf from Shirley Temple Black's story. 

So far, no snow today. A big, big hurray. I'm planning on getting to services and if the snow holds up making an excursion downtown in the afternoon. I've put it off for the last few weeks, but I'm eager to do a little exploring again. 

As always, I'm so glad that you stopped by. Take good care and keep warm, cozy and safe.   

15 comments

Lynn said...

Imagine all that snow in New York, I just don't think of you as a snowy country yet I know you more than your share at times. glad you were out and had a good Samaritan in your midst. Shirley Temple was an admirable character, certainly growing up in her star era etched her into our hearts.

Nancy said...

So glad you had time to contribute to R5F this week Carol with all that you had to do -- it's snowing here right now, but we're not expecting alot, fortunately. Have a lovely weekend! xo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope you have good weather and have a wonderful weekend! Always love seeing photos of the city! I feel like the country mouse! heehee! Hugs!

TARYTERRE said...

Glad someone helped you climb over that snow bank or you might have gotten lost in it.

Deanna said...

Glad you are able to get out of the house, the walls do begin to creep in don't they? Yes, I have to agree that money doesn't buy happiness, but surely it makes it easier?? giggle...stay safe and warm!!

Anonymous said...

I can just picture someone giving you a hand over the snow drift. That is when you know kindness does still exists in this world. ahhh, smile :-)

Maggid said...

How I miss NYC.

How grateful i am to have had Shirley Temple Black - even peripherally - in my life. What a marvelous difference she made.

Looking forward to the days above the freezing mark . . giggle.

Lynda said...

Hurray you could get out for a bit but big bummer on the lack of produce. I love it, too. Too bad you couldn't have been rewarded with it after the mess you had to navigate to get to the store. The sanitation crew definitely does not have the best jobs but they are some of the ones we appreciate the most - - even if we don't shake their hands every day.
We have enjoyed Downton Abbey, too, but the problems they encounter can get tiresome. We finished the third season with the deaths of Lady Sybil and Matthew. Then went on the internet and saw they chose not to renew their contracts - - which was their options after three years but it makes you wonder why they couldn't have done other projects in the off-season and keep some loyalty to the series. Oh well - - everyone has his/her own life to lead and is entitled to his/her new paths in life.

Sola Scriptura said...

All that slushy snow looks miserable. I'm wishing for an early spring!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Here I've seen huge dump trucks hulling away snow as there is no longer any place for the snow plows to plow it off to. I don't know where they are taking it all. The good news is it is to be warmer this coming week so there will be some melting going on. Hope you do have a warm and cozy weekend too!

Nellie said...

Has this most recent storm passed NYC by now? What a lot of snow! I hope your day has been good.

Shirley Temple Black - someone who knew how to show true American spirit. I'd like to watch some movies from those years ago.

hula-la said...

I'm enjoying the snow here in New York...other side of the Hudson. I'm enjoying Downton Abbey and all those lovely dresses. And yes, hats off to Shirley Temple, enjoyed her child movies, and admired her as an adult. Stay warm and safe and dry. It won't be long now! Aloha

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I always enjoy reading your posts I hope you're keeping warm in this unusual winter.

Patty Sumner said...

We had more snow last night....Weather man is saying in the 60's next week.. Here's hoping it is true!! Of course with the sun comes the slush, mud and sloppy mess.. I have not watched any episodes of Downton Abbey.. Yes, I said it...lol I feel as if I am missing something great.. I hope you can get to services... Take your time out and be careful.. Have a great week. Blessings!

Annesphamily said...

I am anxious to see Spring come around. We don't always get a great one but once the snow clears it is nice to see some green and blooms!