Powered by Blogger.

Today is a Momentous and Historic Day...

I've spent the day cooking!


I know it's a historic day. I did watch the inauguration and the television has been on in the background all day. But the temperature is nose diving outside -- no snow yet -- and after I got back from making a quick fruit and veggie trip I cancelled all plans for going out this afternoon. What luxury! 

Two of my concerns about the big  "R" involve cooking. The first is knowing that to make this adventure work economically I need to cook and the second is for health sake I need to cook healthy food. I'd also like to invite friends over for meals and then, too, I need to cook. I'm not sure who the President was when I began a reliance on frozen and prepared foods. My guess is that it was the second President Bush. My commute doubled when the office moved to Queens and often I got home after eight o'clock. My neighborhood has many places to stop and I think I've tried the majority of them. My weekends -- my previous time for cooking -- were now taken up with errands and catching up on sleep. What a perfect storm for unhealthy eating. 

Moving to paleo eating -- or at least semi-paleo -- also means I need to cook and I've been scouting recipes on Pinterest. I've found some great ideas and today I started cooking again. I made a double batch of chicken, stewed fruit (no added sugar) and made zucchini fritters. I happily ate more veggies today than I have in ages, and very tasty food. I also discovered that most of my spices have lost their aroma and did a good clean out of the refrigerator. All in all, very productive. I'm going to stock up on a few paleo basics -- almond flour! -- in the next few days and make a trip to Jackson Heights, Queens, where there is a treasure trove of Indian stores, for spices.     

On a very different note, this is a momentous day, and I honor the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the courageous people who forged the path before him. One of these people is Nineteenth-century abolitionist, Frederick Douglass. I was inspired to learn about him after seeing this statue at the New York Historical Society. 

"A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people. " 
Frederick Douglass

As the temperature dips I wish you all a cozy and warm evening! 

16 comments

Deanna said...

Enjoy your cooking adventure, sounds like you had a productive day. Our temps have already nose-dived...stay warm.

Melinda said...

Good luck with your cooking.

Today was a most historical day!

I left you an email.

M :)

Nellie said...

OH, yes! It is going to be cold here tonight - and all day tomorrow! Keeping warm will be our mission!:-)

Such a momentous day today!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

We are cold here, too! I'm interested in trying to add more veggies, also. We all get in a rut when it comes to eating. I've been eating too many sweets lately. Keep us posted if you find some good recipes! Stay warm! xx

The Cranky said...

A historic day indeed! Do keep us informed on how the paleo diet works for you; it's one I've been considering.

Marie Rayner said...

It's very cold here as well my friend! I watched the inauguration on the television yesterday as well. I thought it fascinating that it was also Martin Luther King day. Here's hoping that Obama is able to at least keep a few of his promises! Good luck on the cooking. I have been thinking about switching to Paleo myself lately. xxoo

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great day.

DearHelenHartman said...

Right there with ya on the cooking at home. Going to start doing it again. My whole family is healthier when I do. Very interested to see how the Paleo diet works. Have friends who swear by it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Home cooking is always better for you and if you can prepare ahead of time and then just heat something up it does make it very convenient even when working late hours. Soup is always another good thing to make up ahead and then you can freeze containers for use later when you need something quick. It is only 6 degrees here this morning. Hope you are staying warm.

Theresa said...

It was a great day, you spent your cooking... I spent mine shopping the Grandchildren:) Have a blessed day dear friend and stay warm! HUGS!

Paula said...

I made banana-cranberry bread (definitely not Paleo!) whle watching the inauguration.

Stay warm! it must be colder there than it is here. We have rain, rain, and more rain.

Maggid said...

off to learn about "Paleo cooking" - thank you for the tip!
You so totally rock.
love & love,
-g-

Sheilagh said...

Thank you my dear friend for the delightful package that was waiting aat the post office sorting office for me yesterday. Your kindness has touched me greatly. You are a lovley lady.

Love and Hugs

Sheilagh

xxx

Susie said...

Buttercup, I know what you are saying about cooking more and making it healthy. I do not mind cooking..but all the time gets so old ,so fast. I make all our food count, who can afford to waste. Save even a 1/2 cup of veggies..it can help make veggie soup. I used to have a tupperware bowl in the freezer and I would add things to it , till it was full , then make soup. I am wishing you good healthy, always.xoxo,Susie

Amrita said...

Historic day indeed. I also watched the proceedings. What happens in America affects the whole world

Lynda said...

Many of us totally understand about finding the time for cooking while working long hours - - - or even regular hours. One trick is to do what you did - - - cook some doubles and freeze them if you have room. It helps a lot. Do you have a grocery store that sells salad by the pound - - like a buffet? My mom did that a lot when she lived in Albany.