Powered by Blogger.

I'm Reading...

Source: bilbary.com via Amanda on Pinterest

Actually my dear, dear friend and reader extraordinaire, K, read this terrific book and she was gracious enough to send us her thoughts:

" 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry,'  was wonderful and I finished it in 48 hours. There is so much in the book. Characters worthy of Chaucer and beautiful language. The slow reveal of plot. The joy of watching two people who used to be in love. The examination of faith in a modern world. Thanks for sharing it."

I am delighted to start the Buttercupland weekly book chats with words by K. Not only is she one of the dearest people I know and a friends of 44 years (!), but she is a voracious and thoughtful reader. She's the first person I turn to to ask the question "What are you reading?" I am hoping that K. will be back often with some of her favorite books this year.

I read "The Unlikely Pilgrimage..." too, and enjoyed it immeasurably. I like books where "mature" characters are featured. I think too often those who are sixty plus are depicted as cardboard grannies and grandpas, ready to settle down in a rocking chair for the rest of their lives.  

There is no formal rating system here. I'm leaning towards the informal ratings of  1)loved it, 2)liked it a lot and 3)liked it. I'm not a critic, but a devoted reader. If I -- or one of my guest bloggers didn't enjoy the book -- we won't be chatting about it. I'm a reading a Finnish mystery and liking it, and I will chat about it next week.

I have a fun day tomorrow -- blog post to come -- and a giveaway planned to post about tomorrow evening. Keep cozy and thanks for visiting!

What are you reading?

11 comments

Ms Sparrow said...

I'm not actually reading anything, but almost everybody I know is writing a book so I often do critiques. I guess that counts...

Deanna said...

I have a friend like your K that reads anything and everything and she, also loved this book. Highly recommended by her and now the 2 of you...it is now on my "to read" list. Well, off to bed, so I can read. And fyi, I have "Rules of Civility" downloaded on my Kindle, ready to read.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

This sounds like something I would like to read. Thanks for the review. Not reading anything at the moment, but have a stack waiting! Enjoy your day! xx

Maggid said...

oooh, how fun. I have just added this book to my list.
Thank you.
love & love,
-g-

Terra said...

I read this book and rate it as a "no. 1 I loved it". Neat guy traipsing along on his quest journey. I posted my review on Amazon by the way.
I am treating myself and reading the second book in Marcel Proust's wonderful set, this volume is "Within a Budding Grove."

Theresa said...

Sounds like this book is getting great reviews:) Have a blessed Sunday dear friend, I can't wait to hear about your day! HUGS!

Mevely317 said...

Color me, intrigued!
There being so many books and so little time(!), I depend on others' opinions to nudge me out of my rut -- reading only certain authors' works.

LOVE your calling attention to those who, perhaps unintentionally, typecast the 60+ crowd.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good book, I'll add it to my reading list. I love the idea of these book reviews - thanks!

Nellie said...

I am reading "One Simple Act," non-fiction by Debbie Macomber. It is about discovering the power of generosity. I'll tell more as I complete the book.

Susie said...

The way you described the book, makes me want to read it. I have to have a story grab me and hold my interest. I like romance as long as it's not cheesy. Good luck with the naming of the new toy. I say Dream King...then his tie still works.xoxo,Susie

Lynda said...

hmmm - - I really do need to jot my thoughts down since I have read a couple already! Loved one - - - was almost driven crazy by the other since it was about an alcoholic. Dealt with too many of them in my life already.