Powered by Blogger.

Do You Still...


Write Checks?

I opened my first checking account in September 1968, when I went to college. Not unlike wearing a watch, having my own checkbook felt so grown up. I've written thousands of checks since then. Some, many years ago, were for as little as three or five dollars, for extra cash on weekends in Nashville. Others were for thousands of dollars for major purchases. As the years have gone by I've written less checks, using credit cards and on-line bill paying. But until one day last winter it never crossed my mind that I might stop using checks entirely. 

The daughter of one of my work colleagues was getting married and I had ordered the gift on behalf of a group of us. I was telling one of my much younger colleagues how much his share was and I mentioned that he could give me a check, if that was more convenient for him. He told me he didn't "do" checks. It wasn't that he didn't have a checking account, but that he didn't use checks. That made me think of my own check usage and realized that I had gone from writing at least a dozen checks a month to three or four.  Do you do checks, or have you switched totally to debit cards and online bill paying?

And while we're on the subject of checks, checks are one of my favorite design looks and Pinterest gave me a few cute check ideas. Even if you don't do checks, do you like checks, too?

Cupcakes would be delighted to be wrapped in these cute checks!

Source: google.com via Carol on Pinterest

I love this bedroom!

Wishes for a sweet Wednesday!

15 comments

Gloria said...

LOL! Love this post and YES, I still do checks and YES, I love checkered things, and I think I pinned that beautiful bedroom too! :)
But I know what you mean: I used to write SO many checks to pay my bills years ago when I was in my 20's, and now I swear, I write about two a month. I'll bet in years to come, kids will say, "What's a 'check??'
Best,
Gloria

Teacherfish said...

Just sent one to my Uncle today. That would be my Uncle Sam. No minute like the last minute. But you're right, I hardly ever use checks anymore.

Chatty Crone said...

I do write checks still. sandie

Mevely317 said...

Like a photograph, I remember that loooong car ride to college and my mother showing me how to write a check.
These days, that process seems so foreign! ... Perhaps 3-4 times a year is all I do.

TARYTERRE said...

Depends on who I'm dealing with??? The debit cards are very convenient aren't they? LOVED hearing your story. Take care.

Marie Rayner said...

I love that bedroom too! We rarely if ever write a check anymore. We just use our debit cards. It's a lot better I think. But checks do still have their uses. xxoo

Anonymous said...

Jake handles the bulk of our finances, but I know I mail some checks. Though I did forget my ATM card yesterday so I had to write a check to the grocery store. Alas, I will likely have the same check book in my wallet for YEARS to come. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Funny .... DH & I were just talking about this check writing thing last night. I only write a very few & when I shop locally.
Hugs .... Marilyn

Theresa said...

Hi there dear friend! I write one check a week to the Church:) Honestly that is about all! I write one occasionally but mostly use on-line bill pay and credit cards! Enjoy your day, HUGS!

Paula said...

I write checks to pay the bills. I need to be better about keeping track of debit card transactions, though! Often i am surprised/dismayed by our checking account balance!

Susie said...

Buttercup..I love your checks:):) I still use checks, I do not want to do any banking on line or bill paying. I like going to the bank. I want that receipt in my hands.LOL Smiles, Susie

Ms Sparrow said...

I hardly write any checks anymore. They are kinda handy for some occasions, however. I would hate to have to rely on money orders!

Plumrose Lane said...

Oh it's so amazing how things have changed, isn't it. I remember my first account too and how strange it all seemed. Now I hardly even use cash let alone checks ~ gone to a work of plastics I suppose...
I loved your segue into 'checks' though ~ simply brilliant!
♥Sharon

Sharon Lovejoy said...

I SELDOM write checks, but then I SELDOM have ca$h either. Guess it is because I work at home in my studio about 6 days a week. So no need.

Love that bedroom too. I want to curl up there and read a great book.

All joys,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Terra said...

I write fewer checks now than five years ago; but I do write a few each month. Love the check cupcake papers.