Powered by Blogger.

My Perfect Word for 2024

Stagedoor Buttercup with Melanie Mayron, December 31, 2023


In the 1980s when I was thirty-something I was a regular watcher of the television show, "Thirtysomething." It didn't depict my life in New York City, but the characters and situations were close enough. In those long ago days before streaming I'd make an effort to be home to watch the show. 

Thirty-five years slip by and I got a ticket to see an off Broadway play, Madwomen of the West. It was an enjoyable and interesting show and the actors were known to me, especially Marilu Henner of Taxi fame, Brooke Adam, who I remembered from "Days of Heaven," and Melanie Mayron, who was one of my favorites in Thirtysomething. 



 
 After the show I stayed at the stage door and took pictures of, and with, some of the cast. I was amazed at how friendly the actors were to the handful of audience that was waiting for photographs and autographs. I especially liked the picture above with Melanie Mayron, who couldn't have been friendlier. Though we didn't exchange more than two dozen words I felt as though we were old college friends. 

You may ask what does this have to do with my perfect word for 2024. My word has nothing to do with thirtysomething or theater, but it does have to do with the warmth and friendliness I found at the stage door. 

Two weeks ago I selected my word for 2024. My word for 2023 was Pace and my word for 2024 was going to be Peace, just the difference of a vowel. I'd started looking at pictures and a few quotes that I wanted to use in my post. I was just about set, until yesterday afternoon. The stage door pictures followed a very friendly interaction at a restaurant. My friend and I sat down just to have coffee before the show, but the staff and other diners were so friendly that the half hour visit turned into something we were still happily remembering  on our way home. It was all because people were friendly. 

Peace is a great word and it's my deepest prayer for 2024, but it's not the word that sets my personal vision. I've been selecting a word since 2012 and each year the word chooses me. I don't choose the word and this year Friendly chose me. I tend to be friendly, but I'm going to try to be just a little friendlier. I'm going to remember that a smile, a kind word, saying hello might make this enormous city just a little bit smaller and a little bit warmer. 

Several people have asked about choosing a "perfect word" and I found the first blog post I wrote about it in 2011.  My first perfect word was (Embrace) Change for 2012. At that time I was looking to retire in 2012 and retirement was the change I (believed I)  was approaching. But the change in my life, totally unforeseeable in December 2011 was a spinal cord tumor that would be diagnosed in May. 

That's my perfect word and that's a wrap on 2023. I'll be back with blog posts on My Journey of  1100 Miles -- yes, you read that correctly -- No-Spending January, with a twist this year, and my favorite reads of 2023.

As ever, thanks for visiting and as ever, my thanks for your friendship in 2023 and through the years. I couldn't have done it without you.  

12 comments

Anonymous said...

Good job! Start a new blog. See my post.

Terra said...

Friendly chose you, I like that.

Marcia said...

A good word chose you. My husband is a good one for striking up conversations with strangers. I'm lucky to have him and we celebrate 50 years in March.

Jeanie said...

First of all, that's a fabulous and fun experience -- both, actually! So I love that you did that and HAD that! Friendly is a wonderful word. I just posted mine, too. I like having that guide. Sometimes I follow it more than others, but it's often in my mind. I send you all good wishes for a very Happy New Year!

Laurie Whelan said...

"The perfect word for the year." I can't say I've ever considered that concept before. It intrigues me. I need to think about this and see where it takes me; or as you stated, what word chooses me.

Little Wandering Wren said...

A perfect word for 2024 Carol, to me you already are the friendly face I see in New York! Hope we get to meet up somewhere this year!
Happy New Year!
Wren x

Anonymous said...

As always, I enjoyed reading how the word choose you. I have always considered you very friendly and approachable. I know every new acquaintance will adore you like I do. Happy walking!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Friendly is really a great word - and something our society needs more of! I will be doing a post about my word in the next couple of days. I want to try to keep track of my steps again this year. I hope your first day of 2024 is going well. See you again soon!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A great word choice for 2024 Carol and you certainly are friendly too. I have some ideas for 2024, but not really just one word. I have enjoyed your blog posts throughout last year and look forward to reading your new posts this year. Wishing you a happy and healthy year of continued walking and meeting friendly people.

Valerie said...

Happy New Year, Carol! I love your word for the year...I'm still praying on this b/c I too want my word to "find me"! Hugs and best wishes for a beautiful 2024!!!

Valerie

Brenda said...

Like your word. Mine is Imagine. I finished over 1500 miles this year...every step painful...I did 1800 in 2020...but since am doing 1500 plus...have to walk despite the pain...love your blog...love NYC...my eldest grand works there...the middle grand is going to be there awhile also....

Lowcarb team member said...

My good wishes for a very Happy New Year.

All the best Jan