Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Celebrates Manet and Degas

A wonderful exhibit opens on Sunday at the Metropolitan Museum of Art


I happily got a preview on Friday of a fabulous new exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. For many people, Degas is synonamous with ballet dancers, and Manet is frequently confused with Monet. I knew there was more to both of them, but until Friday morning I didn't realize the richness of both of their works. 


Edmondo and Therese Morbilli, 1865
Degas' sister and brother-in-law

The selection of paintings, mostly from the permanent collections of the Metropolitan and the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, was extraordinary as was the commentary about the artists and the paintings. Some of the paintings, e.g., Manet's Boating, I'd seen many times, but others were new to me. I wasn't familiar with  Degas' portraits and they were among my favorites of the exhibit. I loved the depth and insight in the painting of his sister and her husband, seen above. 

I also loved the "Parisienne" paintings of women of Paris, especially this milliner at her craft.


 
There were some wonderful discoveries among the paintings by Manet, but Boating continues to hold a special place in my heart. I've shown in on the blog before and I'm happy to feature it again. 


   
Some of the paintings I've seen dozens of times and some were new to me. I came away with a renewed appreciation of the works of Manet and Degas. Thank you, Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Louvre. 

I hope you've enjoyed this week's Pink Saturday museum visit. Tonight Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, begins and tonight and tomorrow are times for fasting and prayer. My fasting days are over -- I take medications that require food -- but appreciate the time for extended prayer and thoughtfulness.  For all who are fasting and observing Yom Kippur, wishes for a meaningful fast and a year ahead of good health and peace.

As ever, thanks for visiting and every good wish for the week and year ahead.  

6 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

I would love to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Thanks for sharing these beautiful works of art. Have a good week.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I always appreciate museum visits. The grandure of the paintings hanging qre qmazing. Thanks for sharing the pictures of what you saw. Beautiful paintings all!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's been awhile since I have made a museum visit, but the Met was one of my favorite places to visit when going from NJ to NYC. This looks like a wonderful exhibit, Carol.

Jeanie said...

I read about this in the NYT. I hope it goes on tour and lands somewhere near me!

Traveling Suitcase said...

Looks like you really enjoyed your visit. I LOVE the 2nd painting, the lady and all the hats. It make me smile.

Terra said...

Thanks for showing me some paintings by Manet and Degas, great paintings. Did you know I love art history and have a B.A. in it? Enjoy your time of reflection and prayer.