Powered by Blogger.

Barbiemania Pink Saturday

Is anything more Pink Saturday than Barbie?


In my wildest dreams neither Barbie, nor writing a post about Barbie, has ever appeared, and I've had some very wild dreams. Barbie was introduced in 1959, when I was nine years old. I already had a set of dolls not unlike Barbie and company, Vogue dolls, Ginny, Jill, Jeff and Ginger. I had already invested lots of birthday money in their clothing and played for hours with my next door neighbors, Laurie and Diane, who also had the complete doll family. By sixth grade our interest was waning and sometime in junior high school my mother suggested that children at the local rehab hospital might enjoy my now lonely dolls. I packed them up and never looked back. By the time Barbie had become popular I was baby sitting and starting to think about boys, not more dolls for my collection. 

But the rest of the world discovered Barbie and Ken, Skipper and Midge and all of the houses and cars and clothes that came along with them. But for a time warp of just a few years I'm sure that I would have been part of the Barbie fan club, and might have been more intrigued by the movie being released on Friday next. 

I've been seeing the social media posts and still wasn't interested until I saw this giant advertisement in Times Square this week. On New Year's Eve this is where the ball drops for the new year and the rest of the year it's an extremely expensive piece of advertising real estate. I finally became somewhat interested and read about the movie. It's an updated version of Barbie, where Barbie goes out into the world and leaves her own environment where she is the star. I'm pretty sure I won't be the first person in line next Friday when the movie opens, but on some hot and humid Tuesday -- discount day -- I know that I'll be part of the audience watching Barbie come to life.  

Are there any other Barbie fans in Buttercupland? Does anyone have their original dolls? 


Another view of Times Square -- hot night summer in the city

Half of July is done and the rest of it seems to be racing along. In just two weeks I will be in Northern New York for my beautiful goddaughter's wedding, and then less than a month after that is another long anticipated wedding and another beautiful bride. But that said I'm trying not to let the year run away from me and to savor these sweet days of summer, however sticky and humid they may be. I will only get one summer of 2023 and I want to totally enjoy it. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cool.


5 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Carol. Enjoy the upcoming weddings. I had one of the original Barbies. Barbie was born the same year I was! I kept mine, and let my daughters play with them, and then when they outgrew them, they were given away to some charity or thrift store, I am sure. I wish I had my original Barbie sometimes, but then I am really trying not to hold onto too many things. I am sure that she has brought joy to other little girls along the way. I hope you enjoy the movie. I probably won't see it. We don't go to many movies. I hope you have a good week! See you again soon!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My daughter was a Barbie fan and had the dolls, the house and the car. Some of my granddaughters have had Barbies too, but they are starting to get too old for them now. The kids are growing up too fast! I never got into the Barbie craze it was before my time too.

Lowcarb team member said...

... I had a Sindy doll!

Enjoy the weddings.

All the best Jan

Nancy Barber said...

Enjoy!

My Tata's Cottage said...

I wish I had my original Barbie. My sister received a Barbie when she had her tonsils out. I was five years younger and very jealous. So mom took me to the Skaggs Drug Store on Main Street in our hometown and let me loose in the basement Toy Dept. My sisters girls destroyed all the beautiful clothing our older sister Pat had made and some crocheted by our cousin Audrey. They were just not careful with their toys they inherited from their mom and me. When my first daughter Noelle came along I was sad but she still has a collection of Smurfs and Cabbage Patch Dolls.She was sad not to have any Barbies so she buys me Barbies for my birthday and sometime CHRISTmas every year. I have a beautiful collection of the Holidays Barbies and the younger 2 daughters Rebekah and Hannah have a beautiful collection of them lots of Barbies as well. I still get all my Barbies and change their clothes and set them around on their furniture which is primarily pink. I could talk about Barbie all day somedays. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend.