Powered by Blogger.

The Apple Falls Not Far from the Tree

This week's Target grocery specials 
 
On Sunday morning I was sitting at the computer, coffee cup at my side. I opened the weekly sale email from Target and "flipped" to the grocery items. As I sat looking at the ads I was reminded of the many Sunday mornings I had sat with my mother as she flipped through the inserts from the Sunday newspaper. There are so many moments I'm reminded of my mother, but this one reminded me of my legacy from my mother, one of the most savy grocery shoppers I've ever known. 

My total for February 2022 was $185.00 and my total for February 2023 was $279.00. Yes, there's inflation and my big grocery trip of the month was in February this year, not January, as in 2022. The third reason was due to Buttercup error, something my mother was very unlikely to have done. 

I've belonged to a grocery delivery service since 2019. I used it about once a month before March 2020, when it became a grocery lifeline and I scheduled weekly deliveries. In the last year I've scheduled every other week deliveries. The service selects products -- a lot of organic produce -- unless I edit the cart. Usually my order is about $30.00, but I forgot that this was a delivery week until I got a notice that I had a sixty dollar charge on my credit card. Some of the delivery was exactly what I needed, but I doubt if I would have ordered a big beautiful bunch of leeks. I'm thinking potato and leek soup is on the menu for the weekend. 

I've also completed No Spending February. I had a forty dollar "allowance" for gifts, Valentines and a get well present and exceeded it by five dollars. But despite a lot of on-line temptation I didn't buy anything. Of course, as my sneaker shopping friend, Cheryl, pointed out I was buying new sneakers on March 1. Actually I was exchanging the sneakers I bought in January, so technically I still haven't violated No Spending. 

I found this year's No Spending and Grocery February once again very useful. It put a brake on impulse spending and I was much more conscious about grocery purchases and using up what I had in the cabinets and freezer. I also very much appreciated buying a dozen eggs today for $2.98.

Happy wishes for March, Buttercupland friends. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a good rest of the week.  

9 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Carol. You always inspire with your thrifty, savvy shopping. Just tonight I was tempted my a couple of items of clothing that I really didn't need. They were in my online cart and I had to do was press "pay" and they would have been mine, but I stopped, thought about it, then went back and removed them from the online cart. I really don't need them, especially when we are trying to pare down our possessions for our upcoming move. Thanks for the inspiration. Your mother left you a wonderful legacy. See you again soon!

Lynda said...

I noticed the price of eggs has dropped a bit, also and they are more plentiful on the shelves. It is truly a nice gift to our days.
I used to stock up on sale items because we went through them quickly when the grandsons were here everyday before they both started school. Since it is just the two of us again, I am being cognizant to use the pantry items and have less on the shelves before buying more - - - sale or not. Or the option is to buy things with a longer shelf life - - if the store has them.
It is different for sure. I still have one back-up item generally but I used to have at least two or more of each non-perishable.

NanaDiana said...

Good for you, Carol, for staying on point with your no spending. Inflation has really created a disservice for a lot of people that are on tight budgets-especially the elderly that live on a very limited income. Your mom was a wonderful inspiration for you! xo Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You did great ! I guess your mom taught you some things I never knew. I spend around a hundred each time I go to the grocery store. I'm finding eating healthier is more expensive. I make my self go out and do my own shopping because I need the exercise, but maybe if I used a delivery service, I'd spend less. I'll take any advice I can get on that.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You're doing great! Our grocery bill is always a lot but we try to stay stocked up on things. Enjoy your week...you'll be eating good with all the fresh veggies!

Melinda said...

Shopping tough!!!

Nellie said...

You are a true inspiration! I need to follow your example!

Anonymous said...

I’ve never tried a month without shopping. Interesting! But, I do try to stop buying food for a couple weeks before going on a trip and use up lots of what is in the fridge and freezer. 😁

LC said...

I enjoy your creative approach to savvy spending and saving. Thanks for sparking precious memories of my mother's creativity in preparing delicious meals on a tight budget. Alas, her daughter didn't get that gene. But I was fortunate to marry a wonderful guy who likes to cook!