Powered by Blogger.

In the Days When There Were Telegrams

 

These were a few of the telegrams that were delivered to my parents 
March 2, 1947 on their wedding day

The telegram is one more item that has slipped into history. I don't think I've thought about them for decades and probably wouldn't have thought of them if I hadn't found this collection during one of my decluttering days. But for those who weren't able to attend my parents' wedding seventy-six years ago yesterday a telegram was the way to be part of the festivities. 

Western Union was founded in 1851 in Rochester, NY and until the 1980's took the lead in the telegraph business. They pioneered the telex and wire money transfers. By the 1980s the communications industry had changed and the telegram was becoming history. Like so many other companies Western Union changed focus, in their case to the more profitable money transfers. In 2006 the communications operations ended, and it was farewell to the telegram and the telex. I, for one, never noticed. 

But in 1947 the telegram was the way of communication across the miles. Even when I was growing up in the 1960s long distance phone calls were carefully planned and email, cell phones and text messages were the stuff of science fiction. Dick Tracy, the comic book detective did talk into his watch, which was a  two way radio, but it was still only found in the pages of comic books for decades. 


 
My mother's wedding portrait, 1947 
In the days when telegrams were delivered

A toast to my parents on what would have been their 76th anniversary and to the telegram, which kept people connected for over a century. 

Early on in blogging I did a series on items that have disappeared (or are disappearing) from our lives. I think it may be time to resume it. Are there any items that you miss that are no longer part of our every day?

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great Saturday. 

7 comments

Sandi said...

"Are there any items that you miss that are no longer part of our every day?"

I miss quiet and privacy and people forgetting what you said.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'cw nwcwe seen a telegram but heard about the ones people used to get during the war. So many dreaded seeing them come. But to get one on a happy occasion would be wonderful! Happy anniversary to your parents. So much has changed, it's hard to believe how easily we communicate today. Instant news comes from everywhere in the world.

Lynda said...

Gorgeous picture of your beautiful mom! It is so pretty with the lighting through her veil.
Party lines on telephones.
Gas Station attendants. I do "hate" that woman have to pump gas into their gas - - but also thankful we have cars and can afford gas.
Cassette players and 8-track tapes.
Technology that forces us to upgrade - - - VCR to DVD, etc.
BUT - - what a miracle our phones are now! They contain as much information and functions as combined computer, camera, audio book reader, and telephone as well as a navigation device.

Jeanie said...

Your mom's wedding portrait is gorgeous. I remember telegrams -- I even got one once! That was exciting. Now it's just too easy...Odd that one telegram can mean more than 50 FB likes or "Congratulations!"

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First, Carol, your mother's wedding portrait was stunning and she was lovely, so thanks for sharing this memory on your parents anniversary. I enjoyed reading about the telegram greetings, but don't believe anyone in my family ever received one.

Carol said...

Your mother was a beautiful bride. I miss gas station attendants. I was just saying the other day that I miss the customer service that you used to get with most things that you done. Someone carried your groceries to your car, someone pumped gas for you and even would clean your windshield and check oil.

Nellie said...

What a lovely photograph of your mother! I must confess that I don’t miss much at all from the past. I remember the ice man coming to leave a block of ice in the ice box, the forerunner of the electric refrigerator. I remember most that we also had an electric refrigerator, the kind that needed to be defrosted! I don’t miss having to do that chore with today’s frost free appliances.