Powered by Blogger.

Pink Roses for Pink Saturday

Pink roses -- and sunflowers -- for Pink Saturday

I've been doing a lot of walking this week -- 25+ miles --  and in my wanderings around Manhattan I made sure to pass one of my favorite florists just because I love seeing their displays. When I saw this perfect bouquet of pink roses I knew I had my photograph for Pink Saturday. When I looked at the photograph earlier today I also realized I had my sunflower photograph, too. 

I'm posting sunflowers, the flower of Ukraine, for a sad commemoration. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the beginning of the war in Ukraine. One year later there are seven million Ukrainian refugees, millions more people are internally displaced in Ukraine and over 8,000 civilians have been killed. But Ukraine fights on and there has been twelve months of heroic resistance. May a million sunflowers bloom in a peaceful Ukraine!

A selfie reflected in the flower shop window

 

I loved the tulips displayed on the sidewalk. About a minute later it started to hail -- just another bit of the wacky weather this winter -- and the tulips were moved under the awning.  

After weeks of almost spring it was winter today and of course I went out without boots. It hadn't crossed my mind that it would really be cold enough to wear boots. Silly me with cold toes this afternoon. But I happily got a few errands done and even thought ahead to get the book for next month's book club. We're reading Isabel Allende's A Long Petal of the Sea. It looks interesting, but challenging and I'm glad I picked up the book early. More than once I've been desperately trying to get my reading finished the morning of book club. Does that happen to anyone else in a book club?

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great week.

8 comments

Lynda said...

LOVE the flowers! They are beautiful anytime of year but even more so in the spring after winter weather.
I joined one bookclub for a few months. I and another person were the only ones who read the book - - every time we met!
I went a few months until I realized the ladies attending who had invited me went just to sit at the feet of the group leader. She was their favorite university professor and mentor twenty years earlier. It was more of a social activity for them which is fine but it was basically a waste of my time.
Reading is one of the favorite things I do each day. I decided to keep that hour for myself each month and also read items of my choosing.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good for you doing all those miles walking ! You got some beautiful pictures at the florists. i love to see them this time of year when nothing else is growing. We're to have a springlike day here today, but no flowers are in future, so thanks for sharing yours!

Latane Barton said...

I love the beautiful displays of both flowers and produce that grace NY's streets. Even the ones in the stores are so well placed that they look like a painting and so inviting.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Lovely photos. I like the tulips. The daffodils are blooming here in Indiana! The tulips are coming up. Very odd for this time of the year. Have a grand day! Cathy

NanaDiana said...

Wow~. That is great that you are doing all that walking. Manhattan certainly lends itself to walking. I stayed there when I went to school there many, many years ago. Love all the floral pictures. It is so sad to think that the war continues there. xo Diana

Nancy Barber said...

Beautiful roses. Of course, I am the great procrastinator! I have indeed finished a book club book at the last minute.

Have a wonderful week!

Aventura Tutoring said...

War is not good in any aspect.Private tutor St. Augustine Many hardships comes with war

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Leave it to NYC to have such a wonderful floral display along your walk, Carol. I would have been sorely tempted to buy some of those blooms, especially the tulips.