Powered by Blogger.

All About Eggs and Egg Prices

 


You may be wondering why a post about egg prices has a photo of radishes at the top of the page. I like the photo and it's a lot livelier than the pictures I have of egg cartons and prices. So, please bear with my artistic license.  


Two weeks ago I went on an excursion to Connecticut that included several grocery stops. Generally the grocery prices in Brookfield (outside of Danbury) are less expensive than New York City. For the most part I wasn't disappointed and had great success in saving money. 


 I found this great deal on English muffins at Shop Rite in Brookfield. 
The same product was $3.49 today at Target in my neighborhood. 


Two weeks ago again at Shop Rite in Brookfield. 

We thought that Trader Joes (also in Connecticut) would be less expensive and made a stop there before we headed back to Connecticut. To my surprise, eggs were slightly less expensive, but not the bargain I anticipated on eggs at Trader Joes, at least not at that Trader Joe's.



Fast forward to earlier this week. A dozen eggs at my local Target, the same Target with English muffins selling for $3.49, are -- drumroll, please! -- $2.99 per dozen. I don't have a clear photograph, so please take my word for it. I have no idea of the reason for this particular modern miracle, but as someone who uses a fair amount of eggs, I'm thrilled. What are egg prices in your neck of the woods?

Here's a catchup on GroceryFebruary. After seventeen days of the month I've spent $169.50. In 2022 I spent $185.00 for the entire month, which even then seemed ridiculously low. I've got most staples on hand and a lot of vegetables, so I'm estimating I'll be spending somewhere between fifty and seventy-five more dollars for the month. I'm working on using up as much as possible from the freezer, but will still need protein -- mostly fish -- and fruit. 

I'm pleased with my book de-accessioning. So far nineteen books have left for other homes. Eight were donated to our branch library book sale, six to members of the neighborhood Buy Nothing Group, three to the free library down the street and one is going to a friend. Not surprisingly to me, two books from the free library came home with me, but they are not here permanently.  My goal is that every book has a place on a shelf. I'm not close to that yet, but it's going to happen in 2023. 

I'm working at being (more) organized and to that end I'm doing my Pink Saturday post almost as soon as the posting window opens. I've missed the window a few weeks this year already, but I don't like being a Pink Saturday no-show. Happy to be on-time!

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great weekend. 

9 comments

Anonymous said...

I saw an article online about egg prices coming down (don't remember the source), but I haven't seen it here -Houston, TX - yet.
One dozen large
Kroger -> $4.19
WalMart -> $3.36
HEB -> $3.80

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Carol. Eggs are going down in price everywhere, or so I have heard on the news. My husband does our grocery shopping and lately he has been pleased that our ending grocery bill has been going down. Good job on passing some of your books along. We are trying to do the same thing here. It's always good to hear about what is going on in your world. See you again soon!

Carol said...

Thankfully, we have chickens and friends with chickens and so we do not need to buy eggs at this time. I am so blessed to have a freezer full of food and rarely have to purchase much other than a few veggies and the extras. Sugar, tea, coffee, and ketchup are biggies here.

Lynda said...

Keep in mind when figuring your entire bill for the month on groceries that if you spend more this year, it could be due to some inflation.
We are encountering the fluctuation in prices between stores, also. We would shop mainly at two stores in the past - - Pulbix for most of our fresh produce, staples like bread and milk, and sale items - - then Wal-Mart for stocking non-perishables. However, we have since added Aldi's on produce, sale items at Food Lion and Food City as well as eggs at the last couple. Fortunately they are all within blocks of each other - - no more than two miles on a triangular route so we aren't running out the savings in gas.

It's me said...

O yes …everything is so expensive in the grosery shop ….no good….have a new de Sunday…love from me and Leaf 🍀❤️🐾🍀

Theresa said...

The prices are so high on everything I buy, or so it seems. We need a break. It sounds like you are doing a great job with your purchases. Keep up the good work 👏🏻 Enjoy your day dear friend. Hugs

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carol, we bought a dozen large brown eggs last week in a local supermarket, Hannafords, at a cost of $4.49, which was a bit lower than the week before. We don't regularly go to Trader Joe's but are planning a trip to see if some of the items mentioned in the One Pan Wonders cookbook (Jamie Oliver) can be found there. I was not surprised to read that your Feb 2023 grocery spending was higher than in 2022 for the same month.

In the past few weeks, I trimmed down some of our cookbook collection. Several went to a local thrift store and a couple others to friends. Now all the books fit on the shelves, but could stand with a bit more give-aways. Good luck to you in your continued book de-accessioning.

Jeanie said...

I love eggs. Here XL is 3.39, L is 3.19. Well, last week. Who knows.

Anonymous said...

Nashville. Kroger 3.99 dozen large. Aldi a bit higher