Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Celebrates Autumn in New England

 

Our Pink Saturday happy day in Connecticut

It wouldn't be autumn without a visit to New England. I spent Friday in one of my favorite places, Litchfield County, Connecticut. It was warm, sunny and a perfect day to see the just beginning changing leaves and visit an orchard. 


My new favorite apple: Spartan 

Our celebration of autumn included discovering a new favorite apple, the Spartan variety. My favorite (until now) was the Macoun, but there were none at the stand. I went with the recommendation to try the Spartan and I haven't been disappointed. The Spartan is just sweet enough for me and very crisp. The apples had been tree ripened and have been perfect for eating. What are your favorite apple varieties? 

An autumn visit wouldn't be complete without pumpkins and there were lots to choose from. I could have chosen the biggest pumpkin I've ever seen, but it wouldn't fit in the car or most likely the elevator when I got home. 

442 Pounds of pumpkin


I ended up going home without a pumpkin, but this group was a lot more user-friendly. 

After my stop at the orchard, I enjoyed lunch outdoors, a visit to a favorite bookstore in Washington, CT and a quick stop at the grocery. My only disappointment for the day was the grocery was out of pumpkin spice! 

How have you been celebrating autumn? 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great week!

6 comments

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I saw a couple of giant pumpkins recently. I wonder what they do with them other than to carve them out for races down the river? Fall is well established here and the colours are glorious.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

New England is well known for it's colorful autumns and your post didn't disappoint. I love apple time and apple picking is a favorite for the kids to do. I like Jonathan apples, but honeycrisp are very good too. I've never heard of spartan but will keep an eye out for them now.

Lynda said...

So thankful for your beautiful Saturday! The weather has been perfect in Tennessee for a couple of weeks now.
We are truly blessed because autumn is a favorite season for many.
Ruth Bell Graham wrote a poem that basically told of the gloriousness of spring and autumn and decided God made them short or else we would be overwhelmed with their wonderfulness.
I think those two seasons are so beautiful because they are like vacations in between the two very extreme temperature seasons. Autumn is best because there are no mosquitoes it seems!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It sure is a beautiful time of year! Happy Fall...love that giant pumpkin!

Linda said...

I found several jars of pumpkin spice seasoning in a store on sale back in the spring and bought 5! Hope you find some soon!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There is nothing quite as glorious in autumn in New England that is for sure. I have never tried the spartan apple variety, but based on your recommendation will look for it. My way to celebrate the season is to for walks to view the fall colors.