Powered by Blogger.

Mom, as Always, This One's for You

 

My mother, summer 1936 in Atlantic City, age 21

Today is my mother's birthday and she would have been 108. She died in the winter of 1990, too young and too soon. It wasn't sudden, but even being told that the days were dwindling and feeling her strength ebb, she had a number of knitting projects ongoing and the New York Times was still delivered daily. Her optimism had been blunted by many losses, but she was a hopeful person and believed in keeping busy and useful, and that she did. 

My mother taught me many lessons and so often I hear her voice continuing to advise me. She had a wide range of topics from the particular to the infinite. Two that stand out this morning are "Don't buy on margin," from her observations during the Depression to "This, too, shall pass," for just about every other small and large tragedy that might befall me. She was right on those two issues and so much more.

Mom, happy birthday! You are so loved and remembered. Not a day goes by when I don't feel grateful that you are my mother. As she so often said to me, I love you more than all the roses in the world. 

Buttercup and Mom, 1952 
    

I will be blogging sporadically for the next week because I am off on an adventure. I'm going to a few old familiar places and a few new ones. I will be seeing some friends of great long-standing and meeting a few on-line friends for the first time. Excited is an understatement. I will be blogging from my phone. It won't be as polished as my computer posts, but I'll get to keep in touch. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and give your loved ones a hug.

9 comments

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Aww, what a sweet photo of you and your mom, and a lovely tribute to her as well.
Enjoy your adventure.

Linda said...

What a blessing to see the photos of your mom and then the two of you together! She must have been a very wise lady. Have fun with whatever adventure you are on - as you always DO!!!

Mevely317 said...

What precious memories! I believe continuing to speak of our loved ones is, perhaps, the greatest honor.
Your upcoming adventures sound delightful, Carol. I'll be watching for updates!

My Tata's Cottage said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom and the beautiful photos. I am behind blogging and commenting but I Need to blog about our trip to Victor, Colorado where my mom spent some of her early childhood. As we hiked up the short trail to where the Portland Gold Mine plaque is dedicated, I was overwhelmed with emotions. I think of her and all my loved ones every single day. I miss my mother and always will. I felt each one of their presence with me on that trail and my husband Avery, our daughter Rebekah and son-in-law Zach knew to let me be. The old mines are located above the town and the view was spectacular.
You are such an incredibly talented writer Carol. I love you stories and seeing your beautiful photos. I wish your mother a beautiful heavenly birthday and you a gentle hug and sending love across the miles for you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. Not every mom is as loved as yours was. Nice you are having a new adventure. Life itself is an adventure to me. Every day brings something new.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother! Enjoy your adventure.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A lovely tribute to your mother on her birthday, Carol, and it’s obvious how special she was to you as all our mothers are to us. Your adventures sound like they be wonderful and look forward to your posts.

Marcia said...

Have a great adventure. Enjoyed reading about your Mom.

Mimi said...

Sweet words about your mom. And you haven't changed much since 1952!