Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes to White River Junction, Vermont

 

Though it's not pink, I couldn't resist featuring this neon sign for this Pink Saturday.
 I felt as though it had been made for me. 

Before I got to Hanover, NH for my Dartmouth reunion I spent the night across the river in White River Junction, Vermont. Hanover has very few places to stay and whatever was there had been booked for months by the college and visitors for reunions and graduation. I've been to White River Junction many times, but had only for quick visits or simply driving through. I was very pleasantly surprised by the downtown area, with new restaurants, stores and street art. 

I enjoyed the Hotel Coolidge, listed on the National Register of Historic Places

I booked the Coolidge for its very convenient location from the train station and reasonable price, but was delighted with its window to local history. The hotel was built during White River's major railroad days and was named for President Coolidge's father. The rooms are simple and pleasant, but it was quiet and spacious and I loved the visit into history. 

Main Street, White River Junction, VT

My room included a voucher for breakfast and I had an excellent iced coffee while I enjoyed this beautiful view. The sunny morning was an omen of the good weather for the area for the entire weekend to come. 

The pink frames caught my eye as a definite choice for this post  

I had a great walk around the downtown area. There were a number of well preserved historic buildings and interesting stores.  I didn't expect to find as many interesting spots in White River and was very pleasantly surprised. I've thought for a long time that I could find interesting things just about anywhere I went and this visit definitely reinforced my belief. 

I will be doing at least one post about my second 50th reunion. The Dartmouth campus was even more beautiful than I remembered and it was a great time of revisiting and making new friends. I'm sure I will say it many times, but I'm awed and delighted that I can still make new college friends. I never thought it was a possibility after fifty plus years. 

After my two reunions it's been tough getting back to my routines. I did get to the gym and Weight Watchers, as well as my synagogue's annual meeting. I decluttered my inbox -- a major project -- and did the usual bunch of errands, visiting the drugstore, grocery and bank. I'm also glad to be back to blogging and hope to catch up on blog visits in the next few days. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and good wishes for the week ahead.  

4 comments

Marcia said...

We haven't been to dinner in White River in years but we have enjoyed Northern Stage which is there behind the Coolidge Hotel. WRJ is quite the hip place these days.

Deb J. in Utah said...

River Junction looks like an interesting place. Glad you had a good time at the college reunions. It is always hard to come back to "real life" after a fun getaway - especially one where you get to reconnect with old friends. Have a good week. See you again soon!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Looks like you had a great reunion and nice weather too. Interesting that you can still find new paces to enjoy after spending so much time there in the past. It's nice to get away but always nice to be back home too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Welcome back Carol, it was wonderful that you also visited and stayed in White River Junction, VT, as we have done several times. In fact, on our most recent visit we also stayed in the Hotel Coolidge and agree that it was a delightful stay. Certainly not like some of the modern hotels we've stayed in but preferable in many other ways. Walking around the downtown area was fun and hopefully you went to the salvage store, time permitting.