Powered by Blogger.

Happy Father's Day, 2022

 

My father, grandfather and grandmother, circa 1922 New York City

My last post was entitled, "One Hundred Years," and somewhat to my surprise this one could also have the same title. I've spent the last month rummaging through old pictures and have come across some family photo treasures, including this one of my father and grandparents. There is no notation on the back of the picture, but I'm dating it via the absence of my aunt, who was born in 1925. 

Forever grateful to my grandfather (and grandmother) who sailed to America in August, 1914 and in the midst of the turmoil of a World War, the Depression and then another World War created a family. Both my grandfather and my father were incredibly hard workers and devoted to family, and I am blessed and grateful to be granddaughter and daughter to them. 

I've been thinking a lot about the thin and fragile unbroken chain that links the generations. It was in my thoughts about the classes of 1922 and 2022 at Mount Holyoke. I also thought about it after meeting members of the class of 2022 at Dartmouth and being part of their Commencement weekend. But the most abiding of thin and fragile chains is the one bound by DNA and centuries, our families. 

Here's to fathers and grandfathers and all the greats that came before. We wouldn't be here without you. 

I'll be back later today with a Pink Saturday post and I'm hoping that will return me to a more regular posting schedule.

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy Father's Day. 

2 comments

Billie Jo said...

I absolutely love that photo!!! And thank you for the reminder. My great-grandfather came here alone from Italy. Once he was settled, he sent for my great-grandmother and my grandpa. And then my dad was born, the first to be born here! And he was not one bit spoiled! ; ) Have a lovely day!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That picture of your father as a child with his parents is beautiful and priceless. We owe a great debt of gratitude to those who came before us. We truly enjoy the fruits of their labors and hard-fought battles. Happy Father's Day to all of the good men in our lives.