Powered by Blogger.

N Is for Nathan's Famous


Welcome to Nathan's Famous

I've been blogging since 2009 and one thing I've learned is that Bloggers' Block is real. For the last four days I've had Bloggers' Block and instead of posting I've read a zillion articles and done everything but write a post. I had very similar behavior in graduate school, but my activity was baking and giving myself a pedicure. Needless to say I was not a scholar. But I've learned a lot in fifty years and one thing is to move on from the post that has me "stuck" and choose another topic. This is why I'm writing about Nathan's Famous tonight and skipping J, K, L and M. They may or may not return, but we have a post for tonight.

Nathan's Famous is a true New York City food enterprise. Founded in 1916 by Nathan Handwerker as a nickel hot dog stand in Coney Island, Brooklyn, Nathan's became synonymous with hot dogs. In the same year the first hot dog eating contest was held with four contestants. Over the years restaurants were opened and in 1983 Nathan's Famous hot dogs made their supermarket debut. In 2017 this world famous hot dog became the official hot dog of Major League Baseball.

I didn't find any historical information on the iconic crinkle cut fries that accompany the Nathan's Famous dog, but they are delicious, and I highly recommend them if you're a fan of French fries (and yes, I am!) My hot dog consumption is generally limited to cookouts in the summer, but writing this post has made me begin to rethink this. This particular cart is at Central Park at 59th Street and only four blocks from my gym, so it's not really out of my way. I am hoping to get to a Major League Baseball game this summer, so I may save my hot dog dreams (with a side of crinkle fries) for that event. 

Any hot dog fans in Buttercupland?

I'm hoping that this post puts me back on track. I won't post for the entire alphabet, but I've got a number of fun posts I will be sharing. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.   

11 comments

Jeanie said...

I love hotdogs but regretfully no cute Nathan's truck here!

Deb J. in Utah said...

We had Nathan's when we visited NYC when my old daughter was going to college on Long Island. Nathan's are truly a yummy treat. They actually taste even better when you get them at the ballpark! Hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I can't even remember the last time I had a hot dog. I bet it was good though.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love hot dogs and have them often. They make for a good sandwich for lunch or dinner. I like them loaded with chili and onions on top. They hit the spot for me ! We don't have a Nathans hot dog cart here but we have plenty of hot dogs in the store, Like you I especially love them in the summer cooked on a grill.

Latane Barton said...

I do love hotdogs but I don't often buy them 'cause I like them made a certain way (and it's not traditional). I like my hotdog heated in the microwave. Before putting the dog on the warm bun, I add relish, ketchup, lots of chopped onion and mayonaise. That mayonnaise is what gets everyone but I happen to be a big fan of mayonnaise.

Liam said...

I went to Nathan's on Coney Island last summer and it was a madhouse! Good food though, especially the fries. Yum!

Lynda said...

We love that you post about NYC because it is very informative and fun for us to read. Most everything is common to you but not us.
And - - it doesn't matter if things are in order of the alphabet - - it's often fun to mix things up. For example, we rarely do this but my husband and I had dessert before lunch last week. We were by our favorite frozen yogurt place in town so we stopped and got a treat. It really only pushed lunch ahead just over an hour - - - and was so delicious. Life is short - - do what works best.
My guess is you keep some blog post ideas in a Word document so it is easier to write future articles? Also, it is fine to take a break, too. However you know we truly enjoy reading what you write!

Marcia said...

Nathan's are the only kind of hot dog my daughter buys. We had them recently cooked over the fire cooking down the maple sap outside. I do find them a bit heavy with the salt.

Kerin said...

Around here, we love hotdogs when camping, and once in the while in winter with chili and cheese on them.
Nathan's is a good choice, and I loved seeing your Nathan's food wagon :)


~K.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

We have Nathan's out here in Chicago too. Now I Want a Hot Dog.

--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side | The A of Z of Conspiracy Theories

Lisa said...

those crinkle cut fries sound yummy!