Powered by Blogger.

H Is for Hungry Betty Cafe

 

Welcome to Hungry Betty Cafe

Dear friends, 

I've been writing this post for the last three days. I've had all of my pictures taken and downloaded, but my mind was not able to focus on writing a post and I wanted to do more than just post pictures. The yumminess of Hungry Betty deserved more than a picture or two. 

You've all read/seen news of the shooting incident on the subway on Tuesday. When I first saw the breaking news I was nowhere near there. I was at home drinking coffee and getting ready to take the subway to the dentist. It was a totally normal morning, but my concentration went roaming once I heard the news. Not that I didn't get things done in the last few days. I went to the dentist, assembled things for a shipment to Ukraine, went to the gym and did shopping for Passover preparation. But when I sat at the computer for this post my mind went off in a zillion directions.    

I decided to leave my usual cheerful tone aside (for the first part of this post) and be real about why I didn't post. I'm totally fine and thankfully no one I know was injured in the shooting. Finally my concentration is returning. It's not quite what it was pre-Tuesday, but I do want to return to our A to Z Challenge and share an upbeat post for "H." 


You may be looking at the best croissant in the neighborhood

I'm not quite sure when Hungry Betty Cafe opened, but it's probably less than a year ago. I was awed that a new bakery/cafe was opening in the midst of such a difficult time in New York City.  I stopped in sometime in January and chose a seat in the outdoor section, kept cozy by heaters. I was tempted by the croissant and I wasn't disappointed. It was flaky and
buttery and completely delicious. There are a lot of croissants on the Upper West Side, but very few standout croissants and this is a standout croissant. 

Since then I've had the frittata (pictured above) which makes a very tasty light lunch. I've also had the butter cookies and though I don't get cookies very often these are so worth the calories. I was especially pleased to find the prettiest Easter cookies when I stopped in this week. I'm happy to report that they were as good as they looked. 

   
Happy Easter/Happy Spring

I'm going to take some liberty with alphabetical order tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll be excused. Please stop by for an "M" surprise. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Stay safe and blessings for this holiday weekend.

9 comments

Kerin said...

Such a tragedy and my heart and thoughts go out to all affected by this evil man.

On the lighter tone of your cafe experience, it looks like they have delicious cookies and they are certainly decorated cute!

~K.

Jeanie said...

I'm so grateful you are all right and weren't part of that but I suspect there is a bit of PTSD in every person who rides the subway after something like that. As for the restaurant -- it's a spot I'd sure love to discover. It looks terrific!

I hope you can chill out over the weekend. Take care.

Nellie said...

Such a scary time! Thankful that you are safe and able to keep to your routine. Sending good Passover wishes to you!

lissa said...

I like that quote for the Hungry Betty Cafe, it cheers me up somehow. I'm not much into croissants but they are pretty good for breakfast.

Have a lovely day.

Billie Jo said...

Such a horrible tragedy. So glad you are ok. May peace fill your heart this Easter!

betty said...

Glad you were okay from that tragic shooting in your city. I think I would like to visit this cafe if I am ever visiting there since my name is Betty and I'm always Hungry :)

May your weekend be a peaceful one!

betty
https://benchsnotebook.blogspot.com/

Deb J. in Utah said...

I immediately thought of you, my blogging friend in NYC, when I heard about the shooting. I am glad you were nowhere near the subway and I am also beyond glad that the perpetrator has been caught. Thank goodness no one died. Such a world we live in. Horrible. Glad you were able to go out to Hungry Betty's. Looks like a great place. Those cookies look delightful and delicious.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What beautiful cookies. They look too pretty to eat.
If I ever get to visit NY again, I'd like to check Hungry Betty's out.

Archana said...

I love croissants but eating them makes me feel very very guilty. Those cookies look yummy. Stopping by via the AtoZ master list. Happy blogging!