Powered by Blogger.

My Perfect Word for 2O22: Cheerful


I've been considering my "word" for 2O22 for the last few weeks. Optimism came to mind a number of times and was the front runner for most of the time. I also thought of video, silly and perhaps a dozen other words. I was set to go with optimism until last night. In a discussion with friends I said that I wanted to be cheerful this year, not really thinking of it as a choice for my word. One friend commented that it wasn't an era for cheer, but my response was that it was definitely an era for cheerfulness.

I looked at the definition of cheerful and one of the top definitions was "noticeably happy and optimistic." This was followed by, among other words, cheery, chipper and uplifting. When I first started blogging in January 2OO9 the world was also in a sad and sorry state. One reason I began the blog and gave it an upbeat title was a means to life my own spirits. I found when I was cheerful and lifted the spirits of those I met in BlogLand I lifted my own spirits. I became Buttercup, and except for the few times I became my dark side blogger, Stinkweed, and I never looked back. 


This was the way I ended my first post on January 12, 2OO9:

 This year...the end of 2008 was a tough time. But it's a new year and I'm cultivating a new attitude. Instead of looking in the mirror and seeing someone -- me -- and thinking "Who is that tired, chubby, old looking woman?" I'm going to take on a buttercup attitude and attempt to see myself and the world in a happier and more upbeat way.


Here's to cheerful Buttercup. I know there will be many times that I may fall short, but I'm going to cultivate a buttercup attitude, which for 2O22, we will call cheerful.


I hope you'll join me tomorrow for Pink Saturday and throughout the new year. Next posts include a recap on the Journey of 1,OOO miles, No-Spending January and my latest art experience. 


As ever, thanks for visiting and every happy wish for the year ahead. 


13 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love your word! Cheerfulness is the perfect word for this year, and it implies that we all have a choice about how we see and react to what is going on around us. I love this. Hope you have a wonderful 2022! See you again soon!

Mevely317 said...

I can't think of a better time than now! I look forward to accompanying you on your journey to discover cheer.

BTW! Your philosophy reminds me a lot of another blogger I was fortunate to 'meet' this year. ... and who happens to reside in my home town! How about that!? Here's an excerpt from her page: "Stay curious and open to life. No matter what happens keep learning and growing. Find what you love to do and find a way to share it with others." Jean can be read at her website CheerfulMonk.com

Happy New Year!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love your word, Cheerful! It goes along just fine with MY word, "Delight"!!I think we are all tired of the pessimism and negativity of these past two years in particular, and we are ready for some cheer and delight! So let us take delight in what God is going to do for us in this new year, and be cheerful and happy again!!! Happy New year!

Edna B said...

Cheerful is a good way to start a new year. Here's to a cheerful new year! Hugs, Edna B.

NanaDiana said...

Cheerful is a wonderful word and perfect considering we have through a very un-cheerful past few months with Covid. Blessings to you and your family in 2022. xo Diana

Theresa said...

I love this word, puts a smile on your face and ours. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a great word to start the New Year. A positive attitude is a great thing for all to aspire to. Keeping positive makes the negative go away ! Keep on with your positive spirit and it will be a good 2022!

Carol said...

What a great word for 2022! I haven't considered a word for the new year, but I might. I know I read a quote today that I want to carry with me for the new. It is about joy! " No one can steal your joy unless you give them permission first". I am going to make a commitment that I won't let anyone steal my joy this year.

Marcia said...

I will try to be cheerful but because of Omicron had to cancel our plans to travel south on Thursday to visit with my siblings and husband's brothers and his mom. That doesn't make me cheerful only sad.

Jeanie said...

I think "Cheerful" is a wonderful word for you, for this blog, for anyone! May your new year find cheer easy to come by. A Happy One to you!

Kate said...

Optimism being unused, I will take it. If I can turn a dozen days around by seizing my word, I will have succeeded. I hope for more. But even a thousand miles begins with just one step.😉🎇May we have a year of cheer and optimism. Love K

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Cheerful is a great word! I chose Positivity and hope this new year brings more joy and happiness to us all! Hugs, Diane

Little Wandering Wren said...

Here's to a cheerful 2022 that will be a great guiding word!