Powered by Blogger.

(No Longer) A Blank Canvas

 

This was where I started....

These are what happened after I put my brush into water and paint.




I started water color painting classes two weeks ago. Tomorrow will be my third class. In the first class I painted the leaves shown above and in the second class, the subjects were a lemon and a clove of garlic. Both the lemon and the garlic were (much) more difficult to paint than I would have expected. Garlic particularly was a challenge. 

The last time I picked up a paint brush (when I wasn't painting a wall), Lyndon Johnson was President. I took two years of studio art in high school and I enjoyed it a lot, but not enough to continue to paint. My only thoughts about water color painting in the years since high school were during visits to museums and galleries. That changed last month when a friend asked if I wanted to join her at a senior program that offered water color lessons. It was reasonably priced, in the neighborhood and I signed up. 

In the interest of honesty, I won't say that I've loved or even liked my two classes, because it wouldn't be true. It's been okay, and since I am paid up until the end of the year, I will continue to paint on Wednesday mornings. I will also continue to hope that I will enjoy it a little more each week. What I am enjoying is trying an activity that's different than other things I've been doing. Has anyone else tried new activities this year?

As I always note at this time of year, the year is flying by. The winter seems to go so slowly, but by the time November appears, time is going by like a train trying hard to keep its schedule. Today it's November 2 and if I blink a few times, Thanksgiving will be looking me in the eye. I've got painting class tomorrow and on Thursday I'm getting my booster vaccination after Weight Watchers. One of my goals for this week is to get my cards organized and get ready to start addressing them. I've got my addresses in order -- possibly a first time ever -- and stamps bought. What are your plans for the week?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care!

7 comments

GrammaH said...

What a fun class! I like your leaves!

acorn hollow said...

Well at least you are trying it. I am trying to up my knowledge of knitting. I learned to knit in the 8th grade. some slippers and 2 needle mittens and never did much after that. My goal is to learn to become a true knitter. Not sure I will make it as you have to pay strict attention and my mind wanders at the drop of a hat.
Cathy

Jeanie said...

A class is good to learn things and sometimes motivating to paint in the company of others. But the important thing is if you enjoy the painting, forget the class (attend, of course, til you're done but don't dwell) and just pick something you like and want to paint and do it. Copy, if you want. An illustration. Your photos. Things that make you happy. Don't worry about painting from life if that's not your thing. My favorite new book is "Watercolor for Beginners" by Emma Witte, which I bought this summer after several years of really concentrating on watercolor. And I learned so much! But now I'm ready for the basics. (And painting garlic would be a bitch. That's an awful beginner's example!)

Check out Vivian Swift's current blog in which she is painting a landscape. Or some of Chris Petri's wonderful online videos. You can do this if you want -- even if the class isn't your thing.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the end of the year -- it's insane.

Lynda said...

Those look beautiful! I would love to be able to draw/paint and the result would actually look like the original item!
The good news is you are "stretching" your brain which is recommended for those of us in our age bracket! Thanks for sharing!

Mevely317 said...

Well, your images are certainly better than anything I might attempt. Key word - attempt. Of late, I'm totally lacking in that department. I do hope today's class is more enjoyable; please keep us posted!
Off in a few to get my own booster ... yay!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's always good to try something new. It's how we learn and grow. Enjoy your classes and the leavves are gorgeous. They are a good subject to start off with. I don't think you could go wrong there.

Edna B said...

It sounds like a fun class. I'm getting ready to start addressing envelopes too. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.