Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Salutes Working People

Ralph Fasanella,  1914-1997 
Workers Holiday - Coney Island

This post is a salute to everyone who is working this weekend, especially those who routinely work on holidays. I worked many holidays through my career. Most of the time, especially as the years passed, it didn't bother me. But there were any number of times when I felt that I was pressing my nose against the window and missing the fun I saw inside. When I retired every day is part of a long weekend and I'm very grateful for that, but I still remember my working years. To everyone serving food, keeping America moving and keeping us safe from fire and flood as well as people doing every job this weekend (and every weekend), many thanks.   

Yesterday was bright and glorious and I have lots of pictures for several posts to come. Today was overcast and rainy. I didn't get out as early as I had planned, but I did get to the grocery and had a nice walk through a local street fair. While I was listening to a terrific band, I had the great fun of finding a friend from the Y I haven't seen since March 2020. We shared Yoga and water aerobics classes for years and what a treat to catch up. I know many people think New York is a big anonymous city, but she was the third friend I ran into this afternoon. 

It looks much more crowded than it was and fortunately the rain held off. 

In  tribute to Pink Saturday, the little pink chair caught my eye 
at this display of goods from West Africa

The fall is rushing onward with the unofficial end of summer tomorrow and the beginning of the Jewish New Year -- Hebrew Year of 5782 -- tomorrow night. I'm mostly organized, but still quite a few things I'd like/need to get done in the next day. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care, especially all of Buttercupland in Louisiana. 

8 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Buttercup! Happy Roshanah to you! It's so fun to unexpectedly run into a friend. Have a good week. See you again soon!

Edna B said...

You make the streets of New York look so pretty. I like that. Shanah Tovah. Hugs, Edna B.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love seeing all the beautiful handmade things. I miss going to art shows but I'll wait and just enjoy what I have. Happy Monday!

Marcia said...

What fun to serendipitisly run into a friend. I probably didn't spell that word correctly but you get the gist. I imagine that your run into them because you have similar interests. We are off to Maine this week to take a much needed mini vacation from house renovations.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Carol, and glad the start of the holiday weekend was a good one for you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree, what would we do if it wasn't for all the people that work on the holidays. There are so many it'd be hard to list them. Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day !

Jeanie said...

Oh, it looks like you were having fun! I love a good street fair and it's been awhile since I've been to one! Happy Labor Day -- I hope you don't have to labor too hard!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Lovely tribute to the people working on holidays.
Enjoyed reading your post and the pictures--especially the one at the top by Ralph Fasanella, and the one you took of the West African goods display.
Shanah Tovah!