Powered by Blogger.

The Calm After the Storm

Looking west to the Hudson River and New Jersey this morning

I had a number of cute post ideas for my first post of September, but current events pushed them to another day. Actually, it was one current event, the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. 

Today was a beautiful day in my neighborhood. The heat had broken -- I wore a sweater for the first time in several months -- and as you can see, the sky was a bright blue. You would never know that the day before almost eight inches of rain fell on New York City in just about three hours. It set a record for rainfall in one day, breaking the record set two weeks ago for rainfall in one day. 

I've lived through hurricanes and the aftermath of hurricanes since pre-school. My first hurricane memory is Hurricane Carol in 1954, which devastated Connecticut and Rhode Island. I don't remember what the rain and  winds were like for that storm and even if I did, I can't use the memories of my four year old self as a measure for more recent storms.  But I have much more recent memories of hurricanes and the rain last night made Superstorm Sandy look like a spring rain. Yesterday's torrential rain brought the very first Flash Food Emergency ever to New York City. It also brought tornadoes to New Jersey and Pennsylvania, not rare, but definitely not the norm for Philadelphia. 

My neighborhood was spared. We had power and no submerged cars, and, most importantly,  no deaths. Tragically, others in New York City and New Jersey were much less fortunate and today brought heartbreaking stories.  

In the days to come I'll be back with more upbeat posts, but I just didn't have the heart for it today. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourselves and those you love. 

11 comments

Marcia said...

I was just reading a NY Times article about the basement apartment flooding victims. What a tragedy. So unexpected.

Glad to read you are ok. Prayers for the families who lost loved ones.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So glad to hear you are safe and that the morning after is such a beautiful one. Here we didn't have any effects at all and I'm thankful for that. The rain kept away from us. It can be very devastating and will pray for all those affected. Take good care and enjoy your Friday !

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you are OK. I did think of you when I saw the flooding in NYC. Looked so surreal. The storm and its aftermath has been so tragic for so many. Thanks for letting us know you are OK. See you again soon!

Changes in the wind said...

It was terrible and so glad you got through it okay.

Tristan Robin said...

Very happy to read that your neighborhood was spared the worst of it. I know the subway was flooded, which is absolutely a most terrifying idea.

Here in New Haven, the downtown area was flooded and there were quite a few accidents (sadly, because there are always people "who know better" driving through ridiculously high flood waters and getting stalled out and then being hit by other people who didn't pass their drivers' tests). Our neighborhood also missed the worst of it. We lost cable, so no internet or tv (we can live), but didn't lose power or gas. We were fortunate. We also had no deaths related to Ida in New Haven. Now for the clean up.

At the moment I'm FURIOUS with the anti-vax anti-maskers. My 94 year-old mother fell in her garage getting out of her car after her hair appointment and broke her pelvis and three ribs. After two days in the ICU they were forced to send her home in an ambulance with orders for a round-the-care nurse because they had no more beds available due to the overload of Covid cases needed in the ICU for unvaccinated people. Seems so unfair.

Anyway. Enjoy the week ... look forward to your next post!

Lowcarb team member said...

We have been hearing and seeing about the hurricane and bad storms on our UK news channels.
I am so pleased to read you are ok.
Take care

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

You were one of the people who came to mind when I heard about the flooding in NYC and I was hoping you and your home were all right, that you weren't on the subway or elsewhere. So, I'm VERY glad to read this post. The photos are just tragic -- who ever would have imagined?

Edna B said...

I'm glad to hear that you were spared the wrath of the storm. We were lucky too. A lot of rain and some perky winds, but we did not lose power or get flooded. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

LC said...

As a resident of the Mississippi Gulf Coast, we have had our share hurricane experiences, too. So glad you emerged unscathed physically. Although we personally had rain and some wind, homes in aneighborhood near a river were flooded by the surge. Evacuees have arrived from New Orleans, including residents transported from a NOLA assisted living home. Our church provided beds, mattresses, bed lines etc. for the local assisted living home. Every little bit helps.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to read, Carol, that your neighborhood was soared any loss of life or damages. Here in Nashua, NH, we had rain which was not torrential and there was no lightning or high winds as in other places. That said, we do know that areas of NJ near were I formerly lived were once again hit with flooding. My niece and her husband lived in a 1st apt and were flooded out as well and now temporarily living with my brother until they can find another apt, hopefully on a higher floor.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

So glad to hear you are safe and that your neighborhood was spared the worst of it.
My brother-in-law lives in Brooklyn Heights, and he said he slept through most of it, so I'm guessing his neighborhood was also spared. Others, sadly, were not so fortunate.