Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes to the Begonia Green House



We're returning to the beautiful White Flower Farm for a visit to one spectacular corner of the site, the begonia green house. During a conversation with one of the lovely staff, she emphasized that our visit had to include the begonia green house. I've never given much thought to begonias and I couldn't quite understand her enthusiasm, but when I made my way to the green house I understood her enthusiasm. I stepped into the green house and in a second I became a total begonia fan(atic). 


These are not just any begonias, but named Tuberous Begonias, with over 100 years of history. They are propagated and grown only at White Flower Farm and Blackmore & Langdon's in Somerset, England. It just so happens that Blackmore & Langdon's is near to Bath, as is my blog buddy, Sybil. It also just so happens that I am planning to visit Sybil in October (fingers crossed that travel is still doable) and I'm hoping to add to my begonia knowledge with a trip to Newton St. Loe. Their other specialty is the delphinium, another flower that I'm not familiar with, but hope to become familiar with. Any delphinium fans in Buttercupland?

Of course, pink begonias for Pink Saturday! 

The great majority of begonias in the greenhouse are cultivated for propagation, but some are for sale. My new friend from the White Flower staff cautioned me about buying one. "They are very expensive and difficult to maintain. You must follow the directions exactly." But at a minimum cost of $50.00 and the lack of almost any ability to keep plants alive, I restrained myself from bringing one of these beauties home. But it was a great temptation, and I am still wrestling with the temptation. 


Though it's Pink Saturday and I try to focus on all things pink for these posts, this white beauty may have first place in my heart. I'm a fan of white roses and white lilacs and now I've added white begonias to my list of favorite flowers. Which color would you choose if you were picking out a begonia to love?

National Ice Cream Day is coming to a close and though I hoped to do two posts today (what was I thinking?), we'll be celebrating the love of ice cream tomorrow. I've got three Connecticut ice cream shops to share. I hope you'll be part of the ice cream fun. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and enjoy some ice cream!

7 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Those are no doubt the prettiest begonias I've ever seen. Not the usual ones I see here. I'll be on the lookout for them now, they are just beatutiul. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Always good to learn something new.

Tristan Robin said...

Beautiful! It's like walking through a cloud of flowers! I am a big fan of those deep ruby-red begonias - they look like the dress Scarlett wears to Ashley's birthday party in Gone With the Wind. They're my favorite. Though, I will admit the white are a very close runner up!

CT ice cream shops?! I don't even know ONE. And I LIVE here. Can't wait to read tomorrow!

Deanna Rabe said...

I can't believe these begonias are so much money! Wow.

I do love Delphinium, and I think you will too!

Edna B said...

I absolutely love the Begonias. They are beautiful! Those white ones are gorgeous and I love the peach colored ones too. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Marcia said...

I was given a hanging basket of lovely begonias for Mother's Day this year. Since I had two hooks on the front porch I went and bought a second basket to match the gift . They are lovely.
Thaks again for reminding me of White Flower Farm. I bookmarked their webpage for future purchases and ideas for the garden.

Jeanie said...

That is absolutely dazzling, Carol. Love those glorious colors.

Laurel Wood said...

Hi, these begonias are so gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing your visit and the awesome photos. I do not have your email but want to share that I found out today the tumor on my pancreas is cancer. I may be traveling to Atlanta to meet with a surgeon in the near future and wanted to touch base with you first. I greatly appreciate your friendship and kindness thru blogging. Mildred