Powered by Blogger.

A Day Late and an Ice Cream Cone Short

Would you choose

The amazing ice cream at Ashley's , voted New Haven's best?


Or would you go with one of the classic flavors at
Arethusa Farm in Litchfield?

I'm a day late and actually several ice cream cones short for celebrating National Ice Cream Day which was yesterday. I had my celebration last Sunday with a stop to try, what may possibly be the richest ice cream I've ever had at the Arethusa Farm ice cream shop in Bantam, CT. The farm itself, with 300 Connecticut cows, is down the street from White Flower Farm. I chose the sour cherry with dark chocolate chips and it was extraordinary, a sophisticated twist on the cherry vanilla I loved growing up. 

But there's also a lot to be said for Ashley's. The ice cream may not be quite as rich, but there are terrific flavors and there are great toppings. If you're in the New Haven/Shore area -- here's looking at you, Tristan Robin -- don't miss Ashley's. I visited the shop in Guilford, but there are four other sites in the area and lots of good ice cream times. Nutella chip, anyone? Just writing this I'm tempted to take the train to New Haven for a quick cone. 

I hadn't thought about my life and ice cream before I started putting this post together. I never considered how much ice cream I've eaten over the decades. Summer nights and family car rides to Guida's Dairy in New Britain, ice cream sundaes at Peterson's in West Hartford and Friendly's throughout New England. And not to be omitted: Howard Johnson's and the Good Humor Truck. I've been researching this post for my entire life. What are your favorite ice cream memories?

In the morning I leave for Maine for the next ten days. Leisurely days to catch up with friends, enjoy the extraordinary scenery, visit the LL Bean outlet and yes, there will be ice cream, too. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post, but will keep in touch when possible.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Keep cool and have some ice cream. 

10 comments

Theresa said...

This post makes me want ice cream🍨🍦. Enjoy your day and the next adventure! Hugs

Jeanie said...

I do adore ice cream -- but it bothers me that it's almost impossible to find peppermint stick anytime but December! It's my favorite and I don't see why it HAS to be seasonal. (Mint chocolate chip just doesn't quite cut it!) I don't think we can have too much ice cream. Well, yes -- technically! But oh, it's so good!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love ice cream and had some to celebrate the day. Ice cream does bring back a lot of childhood memories.Glad you are enjoying the summer and have another trip planned. Enjoy!

Edna B said...

I, too, love ice cream. I don't think I ever met anyone who did not like it. One of my favorites is peach. Another is orange pineapple. Plus I love Dairy Queen ice cream. Have fun on your trip, hugs, Edna B.

Tristan Robin said...

Oh, my! There is the 'best ice cream in New Haven' only five minutes away from me and I never knew it?! I'm truly astounded. I'm going right after lunch TODAY for English Coffee Crunch ... and if there's room (pffft - as if there's never enough room for more ice cream!) I'm having your choice of black raspberry chocolate chip. I can't wait!!! I'm so excited. My only guess is that nobody has ever told me about this spot because they're trying to save me from myself. Which may have been a good thing ... I'm already considering a cot in the parking lot.

Enjoy your Maine holiday. I'll be enjoying ice cream right here in New Haven! 🤪🕺💃🪅👍

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Drat and we missed national ice cream day so thanks for enjoying it, Carol. We did have ice cream while in RI last week, but it wasn't the nest ever, so we're still sampling on future travels. Enjoy your time away in Maine and the L.L. Bean outlet is a great destination.

NanaDiana said...

I hope you are enjoying ice cream in Maine right now! I love ice cream but try not to eat it like I used to. It is one of those trigger foods for me- one scoop is too much and a half-gallon isn't enough...lol. xo Diana

diane b said...

The ice cream looks delicious. But we are in winter and I would rather have a bowl of hot soup.

Karen said...

I'm enjoying catching up with you. The begonias in the previous post are just gorgeous. Ice cream is a food group all unto itself for me. If pressed to choose a favorite, it would be B&J's Chunky Monkey. :p

Iris Flavia said...

We had ice cream at the Italian guys the other day, yum.
And do you have the ice cream trucks, too? Long ago I once lost one running into warm dog poo barefoot, falling. The truck came but once a week and I visited for three weeks only.
Now I´d like... sesame. Or cinnamon. Does not sound Italian but is super yummy.