Powered by Blogger.

(My) Belated Birthday

 

Perfect summer breakfast, waffles and blueberries with 
a splash of real maple syrup

It's been a whirl of a week. I celebrated my 71st birthday on Thursday and very happily, it's been busy and fun and filled with friends and travel and yummy food. I can't have asked -- or been given -- more. 

I took a quick trip to Connecticut to begin to catch up with some of my friends of longest duration. My birthday breakfast included the beautiful waffles pictured above and my birthday lunch, at one of my all time favorite ice cream spots, included an ice cream sundae. Local mint chocolate chip ice cream and real whipped cream and of course, hot fudge sauce. 

But the best gift was actually sitting and talking and laughing and talking some more with dear friends. We weren't on the phone or Zoom or texting -- though I'm grateful for all of the ways we kept in touch when we couldn't get together -- but together. It's taking me some adjustment to get used to being "in person" again, but it's worth any adjustment to spend time with people who fill my heart. 

In a little while I'll be back on the train, this time to Westchester, for a 70th birthday celebration for my dear friend, Nancy. Thankfully, today seems to be the only sunny day in the midst of downpours, and  I'm so excited to see more dear friends. 

I know I'm remiss on announcing the mystery book contest winners, but look forward to that post in the next few days. I'll also be back for a Pink Saturday photo post tomorrow. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a sweet Saturday.

14 comments

Marcia said...

Happy birthday. You were born the same year as me but I won't be celebrating 71 until December. How nice to be able to gather with friends again. Making the move to NH from MD has meant we've left friends behind and it's been slow making new ones here. we are getting out more - this afternoon early dinner out then to see the musical "In the Heights".

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Belated birthday ! It does feel different to be with our friends again. To get real hugs and see their faces not behind a mask. The vaccination has opened up so much, it's almost like being normal again, except for the fact that not everyone has had the shot. Hopefully you'll enjoy many more get togethers with friends soon !

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Buttercup! Happy Belated Birthday to you. So glad you were able to get together with friends. Have a great weekend continuing the celebration! See you again soon.

Terra said...

Happy birthday young lady. I am a bit older than you, you youngster. How nice you can travel and see friends once again, the best birthday gift of all.

Martha said...

Happy belated birthday! It sure is nice to be able to celebrate with friends in person now. Have a fantastic weekend. :)

Laurel Wood said...

Happy belated birthday dear friend. So happy that you are enjoying the company of sweet friends again, 💞

Iris Flavia said...

I just bought blueberries yesterday, post to come on Tuesday :-)
Happy, happy belated Birthday!!!!

Thank you. You make feel good about getting on!

And yay for meeting friends (and travel, in your case, over here... nahhh, rather not).

Tristan Robin said...

Sounds as if your on-going birthday celebrations is a tremendous success. Best wishes that every day of your year is as special as your birthday!

I still haven't had a good gathering of friends yet. But, my 50th high school reunion is coming up and I'm hoping that will make up for my slow start!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Happy Birthday week Buttercup! I can picture you in Connecticut, how lovely to be with friends in person. I look forward to this day myself!
I hope you celebrate all week
Love Wren x

Edna B said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Enjoy your time with friends. Hugs, Edna B.

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday to you! Together celebrating is the best way to be. I am so thankful to be back together with family and friends. Enjoy your evening dear friend and your next adventure. HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Happy happiest birthday! xo, V

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated, but very Happy 🎂 Birthday wishes to you, Carol, and what a wonderful way to celebrate the start if a better year…with very dear friends. Your breakfast looked delicious and nothing beats an ice cream sundae with hot fudge as a special treat. Best wishes for a great year and may the 🎉 celebration continue year long.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Belated Happy Birthday!
Sounds like you had a lovely day.