Powered by Blogger.

When You Can't Get to Japan...

...It's a treat to find a little bit of Japan just down the street. 

I generally have ideas for three or four blog topics. Sometimes it's something I've done or seen or a holiday. But yesterday I was thinking about possible topics for the next few days and nothing seemed quite right. While I was pondering I stopped at It's Sugar to pick up another Marilyn Monroe Pez Dispenser. While I was paying I noticed the array of candy at the register and saw the bag of Kit Kats in the midst of Pop Rocks of all varieties. 

I hadn't had Kit Kats in decades until my trip to Japan in 2015. I discovered the world of Japanese Kit Kat flavors and it was instant love. As odd as it sounds I found Wasabi Kit Kats and ate them throughout the trip. The combination of spice and white chocolate -- imagine a take on the Mexican mole -- was perfect. 

Memories of Japan, 2015

When I got home I looked to order them, but the cost of shipping -- not many were part of Amazon Prime -- and my goal to eat healthier made Kit Kats another travel memory, until yesterday. 

The international Kit Kat collection:
Japanese Kit Kats on the left -- strawberry, matcha and dark green tea
American Kit Kats on the right -- white chocolate and dark chocolate


I did find one limited edition American Kit Kat, Key Lime Pie. As tempting as it was -- and it was tempting -- to this fan of key lime pie, I was able to leave it in the store. I'm not sure I will always be able to walk past the store and not drop in, but I'm optimistic that when I do, it will be a one time treat. I will, of course, do a blog post on any Kit Kat sampling that I may do.  
Now that you know my guilty secret candy, what's your favorite guilty secret candy? 

Besides researching Kit Kats it's been a busy few days, with gym class, Weight Watchers, bank, groceries and picking up my new sneakers. I've been doing well with walking, but heavy rain today kept me mostly indoors. I'm hoping for better weather in Colorado and lots of walking. Fingers crossed!

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great weekend.  
 

5 comments

Theresa said...

I haven't tried any of the varieties of kit-kats, just the originals. So many choices make my mouth water. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Tristan Robin said...

omg - wasabi Kit Kats! Sushi and dessert in one bite - scrumptuous sounding! LOL I've never had them ... the only ones I've had are plain ol' American Kit Kat bars. Which are okay - but I prefer richer chocolate candies. Dove, Godiva, Lindt ... mmmm. My guilty secret candy bar is the old fashioned Chunky bars. They're getting harder and harder to find. I used to be able to get one that was just one square and perfect for one treat. Now I only seem to discover large bars that are too tempting for me to devour the entire bar - which is about 3 days' worth calories and fat LOL. But, I confess to having one of those every couple of months.

Can you believe in the ENTIRE city of New Haven, we don't have one single candy store?!?! We have three places to get candy: pharmacies, supermarkets, one gift shop that carries a fancy line of candies that are so expensive I only buy them as gifts - I can't justify eating them myself. LOL

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I so love kir kats but never thought of them having a Japanese connection. For me most anything with chocolate will do. Enoy yours!

Edna B said...

My favorite Candy is Mounds. Love it! If you want to sample a bit of Kit Kat, I won't tell anyone. Enjoy! Have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

My Tata's Cottage said...

I love Twix! I have seen these advertised in a few magazines. There is all sorts of interesting flavors. It seems they are always coming up with new flavors and different ideas to mix flavors. :-)