Powered by Blogger.

Happy Retiraversary, Pep (and Me)

 

Pep Le Monkee, all dressed up for our retirement party in 2013 

I very much doubt that anyone will find "retiraversary" in any dictionary, but neither can one find "blogaversary" in the dictionary and it's long been in use in Buttercupland. May 31 is both Monkey Monday and the eighth anniversary of Pep and my retirement. During my most recent phase of decluttering I found this handsome photograph of Pep in his retirement tuxedo and knew it was the perfect retiraversary/Monkey Monday picture. 

Being retired for eight years is like being seventy, almost impossible to fathom. Consciously I know the years have passed, but the last eight years have been the fastest of my life. With a blip for 2020 and the winter of 2021, each month seems to end just as it's begun. That certainly wasn't the case for my working years when meetings seemed to go on for a month and vacation seemed a decade away. 

I worried a lot when I retired. I worried that my financial decisions might not have been wise. I worried that I wouldn't find meaningful things to do and I worried that I would be lonely. The last issue especially troubled me. The office was hectic and pressure-filled, but it was never lonely and I made some of the best friends I've ever had at my job. It was difficult to imagine my new life where I wouldn't be turning every corner and seeing someone I knew and liked. 

Eight years later I worry a lot less about those issues. Keeping a budget and planning has helped with money management. I've found meaningful things to keep me busy and I've been able to maintain friendships and make new friends to continue to enjoy life with.  

As for Pep, it's been a great retirement, too. He's gotten to travel, meet new friends and have the best monkey retirement ever. Neither of us can ask for more. 

  Here's to our ninth year of retirement and many more! 

The sun finally came out in New York City today and what a pleasure it was. After my full round of socializing yesterday, today was a quieter day. I took a walk, read and caught up on the Sunday newspaper I barely touched yesterday. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.  

5 comments

Deanna Rabe said...

Happy retirement anniversary! You have a full and meaning-filled life! What more could you ask for?

Linda said...

8 years? Have I known you this long? How is that possible? I hope Pepe has been behaving himself, grin. Happy Retirement anniversary. smiles

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad you are enjoying retirement and don't regret it. It's been 10 years now for me and I've loved every moment We are the lucky ones, not everyone gets to enjoy their retirement years.

LC said...

Congratulations on being able to celebrate a "retiraversay"! May you at home and travel adventures be filled with joy!

Tristan Robin said...

Happy retiraversary! I've only been retired for six years - but I love it eight years' worth!