Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes to Washington (CT)

The view from The Po Cafe, Washington Depot, CT

Unfortunately this photograph wasn't taken today. Sadly there was barely a scrap, if any sunshine, on much of the Eastern seaboard today. I was in New York City and one of the suburbs (Hurray!) and I wore soggy socks just about the entire day. But I have no complaints. I spent the day with friends, took the railroad to Westchester (first trip via the train in sixteen months), and had a wonderful cookout, just eaten indoors. 

One of the letters I didn't get to include in the A to Z Challenge last month was "W."  But I thought this was a perfect time to share one of my favorite "W's" and favorite New England towns, Washington, Connecticut. Washington is a small and quintessential New England town, clustered around the Congregational Church, founded in 1741. 

The sun was really shining for my visit to Washington in April.
 
The church was founded in 1741 and the territory was
 incorporated in 1742 and named "Judea."

The town, in the northwest corner of Connecticut, was incorporated in 1779, over one hundred years after the first towns in the state were founded. Northwestern Connecticut  was a favorite area to visit when I was growing up, but somehow I don't remember visiting Washington. This area is close to the New York border and it makes a great day trip from New York City. 

I'm hoping for a return trip this summer and a chance to sample the cuisine from The Po. The Po is short for post office and it shares its building with the town post office. Connecticut had very little indoor dining during my April visit and it was chilly for takeout that day. It's one more missed treat I am looking forward to. 

I hope you've enjoyed our Pink Saturday visit to beautiful Washington, and yes, it's named for President Washington, who travelled through the area. I hope you've enjoyed sunshine and good times with family and friends. 

Please join Buttercupland for Monkey Monday tomorrow. Pep will be celebrating an anniversary and he's eager to celebrate with all of his friends. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.   



4 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like such an interesting place. I love your Saturday adventures! Have a good week and I will stop by again soon.

Tristan Robin said...

Well, here I am - living in CT - and I've never even heard of Washington, let along visited! And seeing as there is nowhere in CT that is more than a few hours from each other, there is truly no excuse!

I do believe you've just given me ideas for my first road trip of Post Pandemic summer! Thanks! And I will definitely stop in the Po Cafe - bakery and ice cream? What's not to love?!

Thanks for sharing - as always!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is sunny and warmer here today and yes, we'll be eating outdoors. DD is having a cookout to enjoy! I love seeing your Washington. Hope you can get back there and enjoy it more ! Happy Memorial Day !

Karen said...

The east coast has the most charming little towns! Thank you for sharing the photos. I was born in NJ, but have lived in Colorado most of my life. I love going "back east" to see family, and visiting all those sweet places.