Powered by Blogger.

What I Remember on May 29

 

"Ask not what your country can do for you. 
Ask what you can do for your country."

For those of us who grew up in the dinosaur years of the 1950's it's easy to remember the birthdays of two American Presidents. February 12 is Lincoln's birthday and February 22 is Washington's birthday. Presently the two days are lumped into one long weekend of shopping and known as President's Day, making a nice break in the middle of the winter. 

I first heard the speech inscribed on the monument above on January 20, 1961. There was a blizzard on the east coast and in a complete rarity, my father was home for the day. I sat with my parents in our den clustered around our black and white television set, watching  JFK's inauguration. I was mesmerized by the handsome young president, by his beautiful wife and by his extraordinary inaugural speech. I've heard a number of inaugural speeches since, but I don't think I can quote a line from any of them. 

In addition to Washington and Lincoln I remember one other Presidential birthday. Every May 29 without being reminded I remember that this is President Kennedy's birthday. He was born in 1917, the same year as my father, and both died much too young. My father at 63, and the handsome young president at only 46. 

In the waning hours of May 29 I remember John F. Kennedy and at least in photographic memory, visit his memorial at Arlington National Cemetery.  Very shortly it will be Memorial Day and our hearts and prayers will turn to those buried in Arlington and cemeteries throughout the world who gave their lives to protect our country. My gratitude and my thanks today and every day. May their memories be for a blessing. 

As ever, thanks for visiting.  


4 comments

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I grew up in the same era and remember JFK, his life and death. All those who gave their lives are to be honored this weekend.

Tristan Robin said...

What a lovely Memorial Day memorial. Thank you.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thanks for this post. I did not realize that May 29 was JFK's birthday. I don't recall his inaugural speech, although I have heard it many times. I do remember vividly hearing of his assassination. I was barely 3-years-old. In my mind, he was one of our truly great presidents. Too bad his time with us was cut short. Have a good Memorial Day.

Marcia said...

Don't remember JFK inauguration but do remember when I heard he'd been shot. I was in junior high and we were sent home early I think. Everyone was in shock. The TV was on all the time with the news.