Powered by Blogger.

Still Not Much Spending May

 

I'm happy to report that only groceries went home with me,
 not a bright summer dress or any other "stuff."

It's now twelve days and counting since I began Not Much Spending May, and it's been surprisingly easy to stick to my resolve. I have bought a somewhat expensive airline ticket -- more about that in another post -- but no things. I've also cut back on buying coffee or snacks while I'm out and I'm not feeling deprived in any way. 

I did some serious decluttering over the weekend -- three bags of paper, a bag of things to go to the Salvation Army and a bag of junk -- and discovered a dress that was unworn and in the pile to list for sale. I decided to try it on one last time before listing it and to my surprise I found it fit well and was a lot cuter than I remembered. I've also (re)discovered at least fifty Forever stamps, which was a great and very pleasant surprise. 

I've got seven more days of Not Much Spending and, though I'm sure I can keep away from buying things, the thought of things I'd like is creeping in. I was down the block from Home Goods this afternoon and I thought I'd like to see what was in stock. But good sense stopped me and I decided not to go where temptation could draw me in. 

When I did the original post earlier this month, a number of the comments mentioned buying garden supplies and plants. I would put garden things in the same category as food, absolute necessities in the spring. That said, is anyone else trying Not Much Spending?

I'm starting to really schedule activities again, mostly outdoors and (in public places) masked indoors. I enjoyed returning to in-person Weight Watchers last week and  it's got me back to healthier eating. I didn't go wild in the last year, but little treats and less activity added up to eight pounds since March, 2020. We are now wearing shoes for weigh-in and I know that adds a bit, but I appreciate -- and need -- the encouragement to be healthier. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

9 comments

Terra said...

I think it is good to look at our spending. I decided I will buy no physical books until June 1, a total of 6 weeks. I still buy bargain Kindle books since they don't add to clutter. I give one or two books a day to two Little Free Libraries I walk to. You are doing very well with your cut back on spending and nice to find a dress you already had that is cute, plus those US stamps.

diane b said...

Good for you cutting back on spending. Although I believe small business and governments would like us to keep on spending. I just had a holiday and I installed new shutters does that count? Keep up the good intentions.

Martha said...

You're doing a great job! :)

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I am trying to not spend much either as we are getting ready to go on vacation and I want to spend money there instead of here!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

unlike you I bought some new things for the house. I got some sheer curtains that really brighten up my living room and a new summer weight comforter for my bed. I also got some sea side pillows I couldn't resist. I've learned that if I see something I really like, to get it then and not wait. It will be gone when I go back. I also found a couple of sun dresses to lounge around the house in, I'll enjoy them when it gets hot this summer and think dresses allow more air flow than pants.I'd not been shopping for quite a while and really enjoyed this shopping trip.

Tristan Robin said...

If you can have an 'out and about' day without multiple stops at a Starbucks, I'm high-fivin' you all the way! I can't do it. I need a coffee every 60 minutes MINIMUM. lol

When I retired and let my beloved studio go, I went through a major destash and declutter. I was always a terrible hoarder of art and crafting supplies because, when I found a product that worked as I wanted, I would buy a case of it (or at least a lot) so that I wouldn't run out when they stopped producing it (the actions of an experienced producing artist who got stuck many times not finishing pieces because something required was no longer available!). I had over 800 (I think it was 821) eBay auctions, a friend's pick up truck FILLED with to-the-dump throw-outs, three truckloads of things donated to the local ECO-friendly art supply coop, the senior citizens center, and Goodwill, and several sales from Facebook groups for the 'bigger' items like presses, furniture, shelving, etc. As sad as it made me, it was SUCH a huge weight off! I didn't realize what a responsibility it was until I didn't have it all.
So now I'm doing the same in the house (though, at least, I'm not a hoarder there LOL). My study/office which is also my library is the biggest challenge. So many things to go.

I like enjoy about your successes ... it encourages me to continue!

Nellie said...

You are doing very well with your resolve! We have been involved in some needed projects around the house, and that means some expense. Yay for finding those stamps!

kestrel said...

You do have discipline. Seven days gone, only five more to go. The summer dresses are very bright and colourful, over here we are more into solid pastels. I am sure you will achieve your goal.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's been relatively easy to avoid spending during so many months, and our current spending has been on our recent getaways within New England. Kudos to you for sticking with your resolve.