Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Takes a Staycation

 

Not quite a Pink Saturday, but a beautiful lilac Saturday in Lower Manhattan. 

Last Saturday I took a wonderful 'Staycation" in Lower Manhattan. I've got some trips away planned, but I had a great time enjoying all that New York offers in my most favorite season. My college friend, Jane, and I hopped the subway and rode to the end of the Broadway line, South Ferry, and the very tip of Manhattan Island. From there we walked through Battery Park above and then walked up the west side with the Hudson River on our left.

It wasn't just lilac time, but also iris time and I re-discovered the beautiful gardens of Battery Park. I'd worked in the area from 1999-2005 and walked often in the park, but had no memory of the flowers. What a sweet discovery!


If you could see through the hedge, you would see 
the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty. 
    
Our lunch view may be the best view in New York City

Our lunch plan was to eat in a favorite French restaurant at the World Financial Center marina, but alas, like so much else these days, it was entirely booked. We found another restaurant in the area and found we had the best view in New York. We watched the Statue of Liberty, the boats in the harbor and Ellis Island in the far distance. The weather was perfect, our meal was delicious -- although a bit pricy -- and for those moments I felt I had gone on an elegant vacation, without needing a suitcase, a passport or a flight. 

Last week was a busy week with my gym class, in-person Weight Watchers and the fun of the retirement party. I also spent the last two days -- super hot out -- working on decluttering. I made some really good headway, but there is still so much to do. Does anyone else feel that paper just magically appears and multiplies?

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a good week. 

   

8 comments

Brenda said...

Love the view love
Grand girl just did an assignment with Nana about our latest trip to NYC 2018 and the Statue of
Liberty and the Van Gogh in Modern Museum...love it love it
I started going regularly to NYC when my son did the marathons before moving on to Ironmen competitions. Probably six years in a row 2003 and on maybe or later not sure
Then we went for belated number 70 in 2018
Planned 2020 alas so maybe 2022

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a good weekend. We visited lower Manhattan when our daughter was going to college on Long Island. It sure is an interesting place. So glad you have great places to visit anytime you want to have a stay vacation. Have a good week and I will see you again soon!

Tristan Robin said...

I love spending the day in the city just doing tourist-y things. The Battery Park gardens are lovely - this time of year. By August they'll be pretty much dried up, sadly. I can't go on a non-destination trip into New York without visiting the Cloisters - the gardens there are something special year round. A couple of years ago we lucked out - not only were the gardens gorgeous, but they were hosting part of the exhibit of the Met Gala Extravaganza which was fashion inspired by Catholicism. What a treat that all was.
I don't know the restaurant you were in...but, it sure looks like a lucky find. Stunning view!
Thanks for sharing! I've been a bad blogger - nothing for two weeks. Bad dog/no biscuit.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Perfect day, perfect restaurant, and perfect view.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do agree about the paper and how it magically multiplies. You are blessed with a great place for a stay cation there. I do love lilacs and their fragrance is amazing. The irises are beautiful too.

Marcia said...

That is a lovely spot for lunch.

Latane Barton said...

Aw, New York City in the springtime. Perfect.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's sure hard to stay on top of it all. Looks like a perfect time to be there in the city! Hugs!