Powered by Blogger.

My First Party of the Decade


In addition to a wonderful evening, the party was in one of the most iconic places in New York City. This was my view for the evening.  

This was my amazing view at  the end of the evening. I looked up after the goodbyes were said and I saw the bright lights of the big city surrounding Grand Central Station. 


My retirement anniversary is the end of this month (next week!) and I will then officially be retired for eight years. Some days I feel that I've always been retired, but I know that I spent more years working than I will spend doing anything else. I have memories of events, accomplishments, aggravations, but at when I look back at my working years I most reflect on the people I worked with. It's only fitting that my first party post-Pandemic and the first party of both 2021 and the decade was a party last night for one of my most valued colleagues. 

What a sweet evening it was, and without missing a beat we slipped back into the long years of friendship and collegiality as though we'd seen each other last week. We caught up on our families, how we fared over the last year and then started to recount memories of the decades we spent together. There was lots of laughter, a few tears and then a lot more laughter. My gratitude to my friends who put the party together and made sure there was a proper sendoff.

I realize I've been an absentee blogger this week. But as I start to do more in person, it's taking a lot of energy. Yesterday I was at the Y for my exercise class and then a quick trip to Target for groceries, followed by evening party time. Today I returned to Weight Watchers, followed by lunch with friends.  Though last year at this time it was only a dream, today it was once again a reality. Of course we met in a different venue, wore masks and then had lunch outdoors, but in the ways that were important we were together again.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.   

11 comments

acorn hollow said...

How wonderful for you and everyone to be at a party again! It sounds like lots of fun.
Cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like a lovely party and reunion with friends. It's so good to feel that things are finally getting back to normal. Have a great weekend!

Martha said...

So nice to be having fun and doing things that feel normal again!

Tristan Robin said...

How marvelous - sounds like a terrific party ... and week! You certainly couldn't have been in a more fantastic setting!
I'm envious - still haven't been to a 'real' party since the vague ending of the pandemic.
Thanks for sharing your good times.

Marcia said...

You are enjoying life. That's great.

Brenda said...

I am not ready for parties, public church (online is ok for me) and traveling. I have a friend with family seriously ill from Covid...just not sure why we are opening so quickly...but enjoy...be safe. I LOVE LOVE your blog...one of my favorites.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

so glad you are enjoying life and being with friends..

Theresa said...

What a wonderful time you are having! Catching up with old friends is always fun! I have been an absentee blogger too for a variety of reasons, gonna try to do better. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Parties are wonderful. Happy laughter and fun with friends can't be be beat unless it is with family. So glad we are now able to get out more now and do more things. It's been very warm here and 'm loving it. Although my gathering this week was a funeral, it was so good to gather with my friends and celebrate the life of their loved one.

Lonni said...

Very nice!

Terra said...

Your reunion sounds fun and very nourishing in a way, to party again and to see colleagues. NYC must be very pretty a night, judging from your photos.