Powered by Blogger.

Blogging From A to Z: P Is for Paris and Pep LeMonkee

 

With thanks to Cole Porter, "I love Paris every moment..."

Several years ago I decided to analyze my affection for the city of Paris. I remembered that my interest in visiting Paris (and especially seeing the Louvre) began even before I started to study French in seventh grade. As I pondered I realized that I saw Paris in images from the movie, "Gigi," which was released in 1958.  I loved the music, the colors, the clothes and the wonderful cinematography of the film. In retrospect it was probably not a great choice for an eight year old. In addition there were any number of inappropriate topics in the movie. But they went right over my eight year old head and what remained was my love of Paris. 

Nine trips later, I still love Paris. I haven't been back to France since 2001, but I'd like (at least) one more trip back. I'm sure it's changed, and as New York has, changed a lot. But Paris is on my list of five places I'd like to return to. I've got no set plans, and despite American tourists being permitted to travel to France after June 9 (if numbers are under control) I'm not quite ready for a trip quite yet. I think next spring may be just right.

Now going from the sublime of Paris to the (not quite) ridiculous of everyone's favorite monkee, Pep. When I began to think about my favorite things that started with "P," pizza, Paris and Pep came to my mind first. I am a huge fan of pizza, love Paris, but Pep and all of his pals helped get me through the Pandemic. I couldn't post about my favorites without a shout out to dear Pep. 

Pep's got Carolina on his mind, remembering our visit to Charleston

Though Pep's enjoyed driving through New York City in his new red car, he's eager for a trip out of town, too. Pep will be joining me on an adventure next week and we're both getting excited for new scenery.   

We're coming to the end of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge and clearly, I will not be completing it this year. Last year I extended into May to post "Y" and "Z, and I will be posting "R" for Rhode Island and "W" for Washington, Connecticut, as promised, in May.  Now that I'm totally out of order I'm posting "Z" tomorrow -- it's a fun favorite! -- and "T" on Saturday. It was relatively easy to do the challenge last year, as I was in my apartment almost all of the time. But this year, thankfully, so many things outside of my apartment were doable and I did them. I was back to the gym, visiting museums, getting together with friends and catching up on medical appointments, some long delayed. Tomorrow night I will return to my first in-person synagogue service in thirteen months. It will be socially distanced and there won't be the opportunity to socialize before and after the service, but I'm so excited to be part of the in-person service

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a fun weekend.   

14 comments

Laurel Wood said...

I am pleased that you are able to enjoy more activities and life is slowly returning to Somewhat normal. It is always fun to see Pep! I have never visited Paris but long years ago, I did enjoy Charleston. I hope you have a great day and a nice weekend.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I have never visited Paris but sounds like you truly enjoy it. Pep is a cutie and glad he can travel with you. Happy weekend.

Tristan Robin said...

Ah, Paris! I have also been fortunate to make quite a few trips to Paris. I started as a child with my parents, and have continued as an adult. The better half and I went every year on our anniversary for 18 years. Then, once the track record was broken, we didn't make it as often. Now, we haven't returned since the pandemic of course - and with the current exchange rate (mon dieu!), I'm not sure how soon we'll make it back once it's reopened! It's always been the place I wanted to retire - but only if we won the lottery LOL. It would be heaven to be wealthy in Paris - but to be poor in Paris, not so terrific LOL.
Spring, for me, is the ideal time - and a quick trip outside the city to Giverny to see Monet's gardens in full bloom is a rejuvenating excursion!
Loved your post - thanks for sharing!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Paris in the spring sounds wonderful. Hope you get to go. Some places are definitely worth revisiting as there is so much to see. I've enjoyed the a-z posts and will hate to see them end. Glad you can get out and do more. It's a blessing I'm enjoying too.

Latane Barton said...

1990 was my last trip to Paris... and I'm just too old now to even think about making a trip like that... but just be reassured that if you go next year, I am gonna be so 'pea-green' with envy. (grin)

Jeanie said...

Ah, Paris. I miss it. My last trip was 2018 and just a few days but we filled them well. You're right -- it's a remarkable city.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Pep is looking very nautical today with this outfit. I can't wait to find out what your next adventure is. It has been so long ago since I saw Gigi that I can remember none of it. But now you make me want to watch it again! Maybe I will look for the DVD on Amazon.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It's better to enjoy social activities outside the apartment, than completing the challenge 😉
Well done on the published posts.

J Lenni Dorner said...

I hope you get to see Paris again.
Good for you for keeping up with post planning into next month.

Don't forget the after survey, reflections, and the road trip sign-up.
Plus, I'm taking part in the Bout of Books read-a-thon in May. So much excitement!
J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

Theresa said...

It is nice to travel to beautiful places with you:) Can't wait to see the rest of your A-Z posts! Enjoy your weekend dear friend, HUGS!

Marcia said...

Never been to Paris but would love to go someday. Good for you being able to attend services again. Can't wait for that to happen around here so we can find a church and make some friends.

kestrel said...

Pep's a handsome one! Glad you have lots of friends keeping you company during the pandemic even though they do not talk much! 7 trips to Paris, I am envious. We went in winter in 2019 as it was cheaper but it was much too cold for us. We are thinking of another trip to London and Paris after the pandemic is over. Hope i will enjoy it as much as you did.

Edna B said...

I've never been to Paris, so I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing it through you on your next visit. Things are opening up here too. Next weekend, I'm going to Home Depot with my daughter to buy tomato plants. Woo Hoo! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

LC said...

Just one fantastic week in Paris in 2006 (I think), and one brief stopover between flights on our way to a Baltic Sea cruise in 2015. Both travel experiences were wonderful. Enjoyed your post.