Powered by Blogger.

Blogging from A to Z: M (and N and V) Are for Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont

"M" is for (Concord) Massachusetts

Once I started thinking of New England I realized (in a somewhat desperate attempt to catch up) I could do a triple post for three different letters. So today we're going to do a whirlwind trip through New England, starting with Massachusetts and finishing our visit in Maine. 

Though I've lived in New York City since 1975 I still think of myself as a New England girl. I grew up in Hartford and went to college in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. When I moved to New York I thought I might live here for a few years and then return to New England. So much for my planning. But though I've become a New Yorker, a year hasn't gone by when I'm not in at least one of the New England states for a visit. In most years it's four or five of the six states that comprise New England. I've got trips to Connecticut and Maine lined up already and hope for a few more quick trips north later in the year, too. 

"M" is also for Morrisville, Vermont

We're sticking with our M theme, but spending time in one of my favorite New England towns, Morrisville, Vermont. This photograph was taken just at this time two years ago. The snow is gone and the buds are just about to blossom. 

Dartmouth Hall, Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire

Our next stop is one of the prettiest of all New England towns, Hanover, New Hampshire. I spent a wonderful (and freezing) junior year in college there and loved it. I harbored fantasies of one day retiring there, but when retirement actually arrived I wanted to have better access to an international airport, as well as many other big city amenities. Nonetheless a little piece of my heart remains in Hanover, and I welcome return visits, like this one in 2019.

Our last stop is the beautiful Maine coast

I still remember my first trip to Maine with my parents in 1955. It was my first trip away from home that didn't include visiting relatives. I've been back many times and each time I find something new to enjoy and make new memories to treasure. I was last there in October, 2019, as part of a reunion with my college class. I'm relatively certain that 2020 would have held a return trip, but like so much else, I spent my summer vacation much closer to home. Fortunately this summer looks much more promising and I am hopeful that I will have new photographs to share with you. 

The two states that are missing from this New England visit are Rhode Island and Connecticut. There is a very simple reason. They are each going to have their own letter. "R" will be for Rhode Island and we'll be visiting Washington, CT for "W." We did a quick drop-in in Washington at The Po lunch counter, but we'll be returning for a longer visit. There are so many towns in Connecticut that vie for the title of my favorite town, but right now my heart belongs to Washington. I think you're going to like it, too.         

Thanks for joining my whirlwind trip to a few of my favorite places. What places would be on your list of favorites?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care.   

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have always wanted to visit New england in the fall. All these photos are lovely, but I think the first one I would choose would be Hanover.

Deb J. in Utah said...

New England looks so beautiful. I really want to visit there one day. Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures and this post.

Laurel Wood said...

Such lovely photos. I have always wanted to visit New England. I know you look forward to traveling again soon,

Deanna Rabe said...

New England is beautiful and I've enjoyed my few visits. I'd love to spend more time in New England. It's on my list for travel.

Edna B said...

My hubby and I were married on a little wooden bridge in a beautiful park in Concord Massachusetts. It's a really beautiful town. I'm enjoying your trip through New England. Have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Tristan Robin said...

Lovely images.
Funny, although I've lived in New England (CT) for the past 20 years, I still consider myself a New Yorker! LOL

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures of places I've never been to. I love doing sarmchair traveling along with you. So nice to see the views from your eyes.

Marcia said...

Glad you included New Hampshire our new home state. Both daughters went to Dartmouth (class of '03 and '08) which is why were are here in NH. The oldest never returned home to MD. She loved this New Hampshire/Vermont area in the Connecticut River Valley. She taught 1st grade in Grafton VT for several years and they lived in Chester VT then. Then moved across the river and closer to Lebanon and Hanover. It's a beautiful area as we are discovering every day.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love New England also. When I was a child we spent a few weeks in MA visiting relatives and I enjoyed it very much. I have visited all those states and have wonderful memories from each. Rhode Island is my favorite. My granddaughter goes to college there and I wish school was six years rather than four so we could have some more visits.

LC said...

One wonderful visit in the 70s.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As relative newcomers to living in New England, I enjoyed this post and we have been in several of the places mentioned, Carol. As NJ natives, who spent 12 years living in VA, we are glad to have relocated to NH as the hot southern summers were not for us. We enjoy the mountains, fall colors and variety of places to visit all within the confines of the states that comprise NE. Our favorite places here are NH and VT and ME.