Powered by Blogger.

Blogging from A to Z: I Is for Ice Cream and J Is for Jelly/Jam

Which flavor is your choice?

For today's A to Z Blogging Challenge post we're going with a sweet double treat. We'll be starting with some thoughts about one of my all time favorite foods, ice cream, and then we'll give some consideration to jam and jelly (and marmalade!).

Yesterday I was walking by this neighborhood ice cream shop. I've passed it dozens of times -- it's right next door to my (still closed) branch library, but I've only stopped in once. The cones are pricy and the ice cream is full fat (or more) and full sugar. It's very rare when I don't eat low/no sugar ice cream since I've been eating low carb. It's usually a treat saved for when I'm on vacation. But, perhaps because I had ice cream on my mind, I stopped and really looked at the flavors.

They all look good to me, but the Carrot Cake doughnut looks fabulous. I'm not a chocolate fan -- I know I'm probably in the minority on this issue -- and I love carrot cake and doughnuts. My plan is to return one day this month and enjoy a scoop of this April goody. Which one of these flavors would interest you? Would any of these flavors be of interest?

Marmalade, fruit spread, jam, jelly or preserves! 

I've always used the terms jam/jelly/preserves interchangeably. When I started to write this post I thought I'd find significant differences and there are differences. But all of the fruit and sugar combinations fall into the category of fruit preserves. I was most fascinated by the history of marmalade.

I think of marmalade as the special treat of breakfast in England, but it has a long history going back to Roman times. Marmalade began in antiquity, when the Greeks found that quinces cooked with honey would "set" when cool. In medieval times sweetened cooked quince was found in both Portugal and France. In fact the treat we know as marmalade comes from the Portuguese marmelada, coming from marmelo, meaning quince. "Marmalado" was introduced to England and as oranges became available, they became the fruit of choice, for what then was a dinner treat. Marmalade moved to the breakfast table in Scotland, and in the nineteenth century England followed the custom.

I hope you've enjoyed our sweet treats. For "K" we're zipping back to Australia to one of my all time favorite memories. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great weekend. 

13 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

You make learning fun. I think I would chose the Dulce De Leche.

Marcy said...

As a true ice cream lover, I would want to try all of those April specials, but if I had to choose just one of these flavors it would probably be the Dulce de Leche & Shortbread Cookie. But then as I said, they all look very tempting to me.

Theresa said...

This sounds like the perfect treat:) I eat low-fat frozen yogurt but occasionally have a single scoop of real ice cream. This post makes me really want some! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Tristan Robin said...

Hands down Dulce de Leche is the winning ice cream for me - but I'll trade in my scoop for a jar of St.Dalfour Black Raspberry Preserves! That's my favorite - and I have to order it online because not one store in the entire city of New Haven carries it!

Now, you've made me hungry ... I think it's a toast and jam breakfast kind of day!

Mevely317 said...

I'm not especially fond of ice cream -- or chocolate. But you had me at Carrot Cake! Given what we've all experienced the last 12 months, I say 'go for it'!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Very often I use jams or jellies as toppings for my icee cream sundaes , So nice you put them together in your post. My favorite would be vanilla ice cream because you can top it off with any flavor you might want. My favorite toppings are chocolate, with caramel and pecans. It's called a turtle sundae and it's delicious !

Chatty Crone said...

Very interesting. I think I would like Dulce De Leche.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

the makers of ice cream should put my name on the container. I love it, make it and have gotten fat eating it!

Marcia said...

I love orange marmalade and the shortbread ice cream would be the one I'd try.

Laurel Wood said...

Good afternoon, like you, I would love the carrot cake doughnut flavor. That is interesting about the history of marmalade. As a child, I loved orange marmalade on toast.

Kate said...

My favorite ice cream currently is Ben and Jerry’s Americone Dream. And when I buy it in Vermont it is unbelievably fresh and delicious. For cold desserts though I love eating lemon gelato in Italy. I had it in more little towns than I can count. My mouth is watering as I write. And for jams my latest favorite sent by my sister to Jess and me is Harry and David’s Blood Orange marmalade. I put it on toast and muffins and finally used it as a sweet and sour addition to chicken. Looked for it for a year and found it only comes out in March each year and then it is gone. It is the best marmalade I ever had. K

Edna B said...

I like the preserves, but not the ice cream. I love ice cream but not all the new fangled concoctions. As for jams, I usually just buy apple jelly. I'm a simple person. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Orange marmalade and dulce de leche ice cream would be my choices (not together though, LOL).