Powered by Blogger.

Blogging from A to Z: H Is for Horseradish


We're not horsing around about horse radish.

My choice for "H" in the A to Z Challenge was inspired by a friend's comment to a Facebook post during Passover. My friend commented that she wasn't aware that the condiment, horseradish, was also known as the bitter herbs of the Passover tradition. I started to muse about horseradish and decided to do a little research on my favorite condiment/Passover tradition. I soon realized I knew nothing about horse radish, other than I like it a lot.  

I love horse radish for the spicy kick it gives to food, but was surprised to find it has significant health benefits. I had a meeting (also known as lunch) with my friend, Nancy, this afternoon. Nancy is a member of the Buttercupland Editorial Board, and asked about the topic for this "H" post. Nancy is also a horse radish fan and pointed out one of the best known effects of horse radish, its positive sinus effects. We laughed that horse radish can definitely clear ones sinuses. 

Horse radish belongs to the same family as kale, radish and cabbage. It is thought to have originated in temperate Eastern Europe, having been cultivated since antiquity.  It's low in fat and calories and helps boost immunity, supports bone health and weight loss. It has a high nutrient and mineral content and the specific organic chemical composition of enzymes and oils that all work together to provide health benefits. 

I knew I liked the taste of horse radish, but never thought it was actually a healthy food. On reflection, it's not really a surprise. It's a mainstay in Eastern European Jewish cuisine. It's very high in Vitamin C, which was always a need in the long cold winters, and as a root vegetable could be kept through the winter. Our ancestors were no fools. They found substances that added flavor to meals and kept them healthy.  

A jar of horse radish is one of the condiments in my refrigerator door. I'm going to be looking for new ways to incorporate it into my meals. 

Thanks to my visitors from the A to Z Challenge and welcome. The next post in the series looks at two sweet treats that are definite favorites. I hope you'll stop by for "H" and "I."

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.  

10 comments

Chatty Crone said...

I like a little horseradish too - a little kick.

Ginny Hartzler said...

There are sure lots of kinds, as well. We like the horseradish sauce, I know it's not near as good for you are the plain though. So this is what it looks like, I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Jennifer Duggin said...

I love horseradish! I love it on just about any meat. Interesting background here. Thanks for sharing.

Laurel Wood said...

This was very interesting, I learned a lot from you in this post. Let us know if you find more recipes to use horseradish in,

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like horseradish but don't have it often. Now I know how heathy it is, I'll be looking for more ways to use it too.

Mevely317 said...

'Ma' just said exactly what I was thinking! Thanks to my BF, I even enjoy it with steak.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love it on rare roast beef...yummy! Would be a lot of trouble to get it from fresh! Hugs!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hello - just stopping by to cheer you on in your A- Z challenge. I love horseradish with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding but I have never thought of using it more frequently. Good thought!
Hope you are doing well
Wren x

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Didn't know there was such a variety of horseradish. I learn something every time I visit here! Have a wonderful weekend!

Melinda said...

You and Mr. Ken would be good friends. : )

M : )