Powered by Blogger.

A to Z Blogging Challenge: B Is for Broadway (Memories)

This revival opened on February 20, 2020 and had a very short run, like so much of Broadway theater in 2020. Fortunately I saw it in previews in December, 2019.

I was all set to write about books for the B post for Blogging from A to Z, but as I went through my photographs the picture above caught my attention. Yes, B is for books and I've got lots of them and love them, but B is also for Broadway and especially for the happy memories of Broadway experiences.  

One of my projects in early March, 2020 was planning a theater weekend with my friend, Kathea, who was going to visit with family and friends later in March. They'd bought tickets, reserved a hotel room and we were in the midst of planning dinners and other activities when we realized our adventure was not to be. My calendar for last year has lines through theater engagements long planned. I do still have one ticket that was postponed and postponed again. I am now scheduled to see "The Music Man" (with Hugh Jackman) this December. I am hoping that there will be shows to see before December. 

 

September 2019 with Jonathan Pryce

I loved seeing Broadway shows, but I also loved the opportunity to meet the stars after the show. At some point I realized that one could stand by the stage door and as the actors left after the show they would sign autographs and pose for pictures. This indulged every childhood fantasy I ever had. Sometimes it was almost impossible to get close enough for a photo, but it was always fun. I took the photograph above after seeing "The Height of the Storm," with Jonathan Pryce and Dame Eileen Atkins. Sweet memory of Broadway!  

With Matthew Broderick, 2012

One of my favorite Broadway memories is seeing "Nice Work If You Can Get It" with Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara. It was a very fun musical with terrific music by George and Ira Gershwin. I'm sure I floated home humming "Someone to Watch Over Me," one of my favorite songs. 

It seems very unlikely that stage door activities will also return when live theater returns to Broadway. But I'm enough of a cockeyed optimist (to quote another favorite song) to believe that one day Stagedoor Buttercup will be back at the stage door waiting to meet her favorite actors. 

We're on to "C" tomorrow and regular visitors to Buttercupland will be able to guess the choice of my favorite thing for this letter of the alphabet. Yes, tomorrow is my ode to Coffee. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and a big welcome to all. 



12 comments

Weekends in Maine said...

Hopefully Broadway will be back soon and you'll be able to enjoy shows again soon. Weekends In Maine

Melinda said...

Fun times, sure miss live productions.
Changes coming hopefully.

M : )

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you and two legendary celebrities! I do really like Matthew Broderick, as well as I did his father. Someone To Watch Over Me, is one of my favorite songs too! What fun and suspense this must have been, maybe even better than the play itself! The Music Man was one of the few plays i have seen, at The Kennedy Center.

Marcy said...

Broadway, how lovely! I always wanted to see a Broadway show when we lived for several years in New Jersey, but with our growing family of small children and a fairly tight budget it never happened. My Dear Husband and I returned a few years ago to visit our son's family who moved back to NJ, and our daughter gifted us tickets to Fiddler on the Roof. Hopefully we can return and see another show someday.

diane b said...

It sure is a hard time for actors and entertainers. I enjoyed Broadway on one of our visits to the States. We saw Billy Elliot.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Such happy memories! Great post, and pretty photos!
Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

Marcia said...

In my whole life I've been to only one show on Broadway. That was Cats. We took the train up from Baltimore and did the tourist thing with a matinee. What a disappointment that was. People singing along in the audience and huge bathroom line and my little girls who had to go. I never really got the story line. Only the make up was fascinating.

Martha said...

I hope you will be able to go enjoy shows again soon. Broadway is perfect for the letter B for the challenge. :)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do hope you get to use that ticket this year and who knows, you might get another picture with the stars! I'v never seen a live braodway play, but love watching them on TV when they come out. Musicals are my favorite . I love coffee as much as you do so will look forward to your coffee post.

Mevely317 said...

I don't recall seeing that photo with J. Price, but you look very pretty.
In spite of my company being less than optimal, one of my biggest thrills was seeing Le Miz on Broadway.

Laurel Wood said...

It is fun for me to hear about your Broadway adventures and the photo ops you captured.

Janet said...

How exciting to meet the stars! I have had a couple interactions with musicians when we go to concerts and it is always a thrill. Great stuff!

Janet’s Smiles