Powered by Blogger.

On Saint Patrick's Day Everyone is Irish

 

On Saint Patrick's Day everyone is Irish 
With thanks to my  Butttercupland friend, Darlene

I've been poking along with this post off and on all evening and Saint Patrick's Day is actually now behind us. It wasn't the holiday of years past -- especially my office years -- when most people were wearing green and there were several home baked soda breads in the lunch room and on the spare desk in my office section. 

The neighborhood was pretty sparse for decorations, but I did manage to find this Irish cottage across the street from the post office. It's not quite like being in County Wicklow, but it was a lot more accessible and I didn't need a passport or to quarantine. I've never eaten at this restaurant, but I've added it to my list. 

A visit to Ireland, via Columbus Avenue

In order to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day, I decided to go back in time to my two visits to Ireland in 2014 and 2019. Both visits were add-ons to other trips and I'm so glad I decided to add them on. The photograph above is the River Liffey, which flows through the center of Dublin. The photograph below is the Ha'penny Bridge, which crosses the River. 

Built in 1816, it was the first pedestrian bridge across the river. 

The library at Trinity College, Dublin. 

Trinity College is home of the Book of Kells, a magnificent ninth century manuscript. The campus is beautiful and a place of green and history in the center of Dublin. It's not to be missed if you are fortunate to be able to visit this wonderful city.  

From the sublime of Trinity College Library to the less sublime Pep Le Monkee. Pep is celebrating one of his favorite times of year with a spin around the living room. 

Even in the midst of fun and celebration, I want to express my sorrow to those in Georgia who have suffered losses from the murders in Acworth and Atlanta. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care.  


9 comments

acorn hollow said...

St Paddys was a non holiday here too and usually we would go out.
Cathy

Theresa said...

Pep is sure looking cute:) I had to search to find anything green to wear yesterday. Green just isn't my color I guess! I hope you have a beautiful day dear friend, HUGS!

Edna B said...

St Patty's Day wasn't the same around here either. But lots of folks did celebrate. I love that photo of Pep Le Monkee. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I managed to make my corned beef and cabbage to celebrate and wore my green sweatshirt with a shamrock on it to celebrate. Unlike you I didn't find and decorations in the neighborhood. How wonderful that cottage is ! They shared a lot of joy with their decorations. You are blessed to have those memories of your trip!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The college ceiling is amazing, and I love the beautiful bridges. I really would love to see inside this sweet little building, it is a restaraunt? Pep gives me a big smile, I haven't seen him in awhile. And I love all these holiday characters, each wearing green.

Laurel Wood said...

Oh how I love your photos from your trips. I love the looks of the little restaurant near you. I have a childhood friend who is Irish and she always cooks soda bread. I did wear green yesterday but it was quite by accident! Lol
We once lived in Acworth Georgia so I was very familiar with the area where the murders took place yesterday.
Wishing you a pleasant night.

Lowcarb team member said...

So lovely to see these photographs.
Happy St Patricks Day Wishes.

All the best Jan

diane b said...

It is sad that you couldn't celebrate as usual. Love the shots from Ireland. We were lucky to have our usual get together for Sy Patrick's Day

Mimi said...

I actually was lucky enough to see the Book of Kells a couple of years ago. It was quite the experience. Thank you for refreshing that memory for me.