Powered by Blogger.

(Continuing) The Journey of 10,000 Miles

 

These shoes were made for walking

I don't feel that I've done a whole lot this year, but one thing I have done is wear out a pair of walking shoes. My old ones look okay on the outside, but I'm sure after at least 1,000 miles any padding they once had on the inside is gone. I was glad to find this spiffy dove gray pair -- last season's color -- that fit well and was twenty dollars less expensive than this season's color, a beautiful lavender. I was tempted to go with the lavender, but realized that after two weeks on the gritty sidewalks of New York I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between lavender and dove gray. Here's to the next thousand miles. 

It seemed a little daring, preposterous, overly optimistic to choose a goal of ten thousand miles for my walking. But tracking miles is what I've been doing for years and this is just a more cosmic version. I've read several articles about how keeping a structure was an important way to help get through the last year. It was one thing I could do that was actual and not through a computer screen. 

I've now walked 4,076 miles toward my ten thousand mile goal. I've "only" got 5,924 miles left to walk. It's both a daunting and exciting thought. Daunting, because it's impossible to imagine walking almost 6,000 miles. Exciting, because I'm optimistic my dove gray shoes and I will be walking in places I've never been before. I've made no travel plans, and though I've got some travel ideas, I'm not sure where my shoes and I will go. 

The first day of spring was a beauty in New York City, with perfect sunny weather. I got my walking in with a visit to the post office. I also made a stop at a fun local event and spent time taking pictures for will be tomorrow's Pink Saturday post.   

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy spring!

12 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can hardly comprehend someone walking this far. I bet you are super healthy, and so dedicated!!

Laurel Wood said...

You are an inspiration! I am excited to b moving to a new town with many opportunities for walking. Glad you had such a nice, sunny Saturday.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I admire you for setting a goal and have worked at it. You have to be healthy and fit. Happy Sunday!

acorn hollow said...

happy walking!
Cathy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh I like your new shoes! I've started wearing a new pair too. My old ones were worn out! Here's to lots of walking and interesting things to see along the way! Have FUN!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hee is to wearing out another pair of shoes on your journey this year. I give you lots of credit for all the walking you do and I'm thankful for all the pictures you share. Keep on walking and sharing. It is something I can no longer do but do enjoy yours.

Marcia said...

You are amazing. I can see how you would wear out your shoes walking so much.

Hill Top Post said...

So, I am not the only one who sets humongous goals for myself. I too am a walker but since I walk on nature's trails, I don't wear out my shoes so often. I am a long ways from New York City, but I am thinking it might be a lot of fun to follow you on the trails you walk.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Those "new" walking shoes look really spiffy and sure you will get a lot of great steps with them. And, it's always nice to get a bargain too!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

10,000 miles is an awesome goal. Walk, Carol, walk. You are an inspiration.

Lisa said...

awesome exercise goal! My goal is to exercise every day for 365 days and I'm on day 353 (today). How long has it taken you to walk 4,076 miles?

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

That is a wonderful goal to do all of that walking and so healthy for you. Spring time is a nice time of year to be walking around Manhattan.