Powered by Blogger.

What a Difference a Day Makes



 Central Park in the snow yesterday

When I got dressed to go out this afternoon I put on my "light" winter coat, sneakers and put an umbrella in my tote bag. I can't remember the last time I used an umbrella, but I'm almost  positive it was sometime in 2020. Yesterday for my walk in Central Park I was dressed for a day in the tundra, wearing wool gloves, wool hat, heavy winter coat and boots. 

I thought I might have the park all to myself, but even on a snowy day, there are few corners of Manhattan where there aren't other people, and I enjoyed watching this group at play. The official playgrounds were closed, but the group definitely seemed to be making their own fun.




When I left the park around noon the snow wasn't sticking to the sidewalks and it was relatively balmy, warmly dressed as I was. About a half hour later when I emerged from the grocery the temperature had dropped and the snow was turning into a big slippery mess. I began to rethink my winter wonderland escapade. I only had a short distance to get to the bus home and then two blocks from the bus to my building, but icy sidewalks are my kryptonite, and I made sure to be very careful as I walked. 

The winter has definitely not ended and we could still have some days of big slippery messes ahead, but I am actually beginning to think of spring. I'm going to be on the lookout for tiny shoots of green and the first spring flowers in the next few weeks. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

15 comments

Catherine said...

I went twice in Central Park and I enjoyed walking there.

acorn hollow said...

We had snow clean up in the morning and the temps got to low 40's spring weather for us! Glad you made it home with no mishaps. March can still bring bad storms for us
Cathy

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

There is hope of seeing the green under the the white snow with the rising of the temperatures today and this week. Yes, hope is in the air and in my heart.

Martha said...

Glad you made it home safely and hope it starts warming up soon!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I know the bitter cold and all the snow are troublesome, but I think that maybe that's also a reason the northern areas are so beautiful and fertile the rest of the year. I admire those hardy enough to face those winters!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We have warmed up here in the 40's and the snow is melting. I know winter isn't over but the warmer day does make me dream of Spring. My favorite season of all. I can't wait to see something green and growing again.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

WONDERFUL, that these parents, were not listening to "The Office of Pandemia" and were allowing their children to play! After all, it was outside, in the cold, fresh air.

Even though "The Office of Pandemia", has locked the play grounds, in the cold fresh air of winter. ~~palm to forehead~~

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so much looking forward to New York in the spring!

Edna B said...

It's still winter here. But I have hopes that Spring isn't far away. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Marcia said...

Weren't you just having spring like temperatures earlier this week? Snow again?

Deb J. in Utah said...

Tulips are up in our front yard, because we have had a very mild winter. I'm with you about being very, very careful on wet and slippery sidewalks. I'm glad that you were able to get out for a little walk in the park before the temperatures plummeted. See you again soon. :-)

Karen said...

I would love to be able to really explore Central Park. My couple of visits there were brief. Great pictures, just looking at them makes me feel chilled.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Central Park is such a great place and nice that you can get there often, Carol. I am like you in that ice makes me walk so slowly and carefully, almost like a toddler, but then I plan to keep as many body parts intact as possible in winter weather, actually in all seasons.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Nice pictures of the park and snow.

Laurel Wood said...

Our area only had one snowfall this winter and it only stayed on the ground 24 hours. Like you, I am happy to see a few signs of spring.