Powered by Blogger.

Winter Wonderland Message from the Buttercupland Department of Public Safety

 

One of my all time favorite spots in New York City, Riverside Park

I got caught up in Winter Wonderland frenzy this week. New York City hasn't had a major snowstorm in almost a decade and the minute the snow stopped and I could see the it was possible to cross streets -- at least most streets -- I bundled up and walked over to Riverside Park to see the snow while it was still white. 

I wasn't the only one who made the trek to the park. Though it was cold and the sidewalks were barely shoveled, it looked like most of the neighborhood had the same idea. 

There were sledders...

...And there were skiers. 

Dog walkers...

...And snowman builders, including whomever built this "Charley Brown" snowman.

I got so caught up in the excitement of being in a beautiful winter wonderland that I overlooked a critical rule of winter. It is slippery. It is very slippery and even slush is treacherous. I did okay walking to the park and walking on the packed down snow on the sidewalk near the park. The big challenge came crossing Riverside Drive on my way home. Nothing was shoveled out, though some places were less problematic. I thought crossing in a foot of slush would be a good choice and I'm sure it was better than trying to get through a big pile of snow. But slush is deceptive. I sunk into the slush and before I knew it, I was laying down in the slush in the street. 

Not a minute went by but a nice young man came to the rescue of this aging damsel in distress and helped me up. I know New Yorkers aren't known for being thoughtful, but I don't agree. When I got across the street -- none the worse for wear -- a woman walking a baby carriage asked if I was okay. I know I was very lucky -- I've got a relatively new hip that doesn't appreciate falls -- and my only damage is a sore left bottom and my dignity. 

The Department of Public Safety reminds all of us who may get carried away by Winter Wonderland Fever and race out to see the snow in its pristine state that conditions are slippery and slush is deceptively treacherous. Slush is the quicksand of winter. Be safe and be careful. The hip you save may be your own. 

Big, big week coming up in Buttercupland. Tomorrow is Christmas Monkey Monday. On Tuesday we're taking a trip to the Metropolitan Museum. Wednesday is FoodFest, including a video done by my friend, Nicole, demonstrating how to make hot cocoa bombs. Not to be missed!      

As ever, thanks for visiting and stay safe and cozy.

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my gosh, I knew what was coming. I am SO glad you were not really hurt!! And that you got help so quickly. I hope you came home, had a warm drink, and sat with your feet up the rest of the day. I have never heard of this park, it looks wonderful.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I look at snow and see a flashing sign that says, “Danger Ahead.” I am so glad that a knight in shining armor came along to rescue you. Yes, snow is lovely, and it is wonderful to see when it first falls but until the sidewalks and roads are cleared, it is best to enjoy from a window. We don’t bounce back as fast as we used to. This is the first day of winter and that means that spring is right around the corner.

acorn hollow said...

Oh I am so sorry you fell but that is the danger of winter. but so glad you are ok. so funny to see that many people out in the snow. I walked 4 miles yesterday in snow flurries after we just got 17 inches a few days before and I didn't see one other person.
cathy

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hope you are OK. So glad that kind strangers were there to help. I fell walking last spring and broke my hand and banged up my face and needed stitches. Not fun at all. Aging Damsels like us have to be extra careful. I love your pictures. It truly was a winter wonderland in NYC. Have a good week.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yea, rho slush ia alippwey I'cw learned how to walk like a duck. It helps to keep your toes pointed out. So glad you weren't hurt. I just recently heard about cocoa bombs, never knew they existed before. Will be interested to see how to make them. Sounds delicious!

Olde Dame Holly said...

Beautiful pictures and a happy ending to a scary event!

Edna B said...

I'm so glad that you did not get hurt. I believe there are good folks everywhere. I'm so glad one of them was nearby to help you. Yup, you need to be very careful. The snow is beautiful, but your health is more important. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Latane Barton said...

I have always found New Yorkers very friendly and helpful... well, most of them. the snow is so beautiful. my daughter (she lives in Rye) sent me a video of her and her sons and one son's girlfriend out riding in the snow, singing to the top of their lungs. What fun. Wish I was there.

Mevely317 said...

I'm so hungry to experience a 'real' snow day again ... but for now, I'm content to gaze longingly at your images. So thankful you weren't seriously injured; it's good to know good Samaritans still exist.

Jeanie said...

Oh, no! All that merriment and then slush! I'm so very glad nothing was damaged (apart from perhaps your pride) and the new hip is still fine. Yes, a good warning to us all to take care!