Powered by Blogger.

The First Buttercupland Walking Challenge


 Manhattan, looking south

Happy September, my blog buddies. I love the long days of summer, but I'm also a fan of the cooler days that September ushers in. We've had a hot and humid August, but that finally seems to be on the wane. I've had the air conditioner off more than it's been on for the last few days which is a wonderful change. 

The hot weather really put a damper on my walking, but with September I'm inspired to try harder. Traditionally, I've done a lot of walking this time of year and I don't want to slack off. I started the month off with 7,000 steps yesterday and my goal is to reach the same number every day. 

To encourage myself -- and anyone else that may need a nudge -- I'm hosting the first Buttercupland Walking Challenge. It's an on-your-honor challenge where persistence is more important than speed or distance. Just be a friend/follower of Buttercupland and walk a mile twenty five/thirty days in September. On October 1 I will do a post where you can post your miles for September and then be added into a giveaway for everyone who completes the challenge. There will  be one prize for every ten entrants. If there are more than ten entrants there will be two prizes. I'll be posting my progress throughout the month and I hope you'll join in, too.   

I'm adding a quick update on restoring gas to my apartment building. We're actually moving along. The de-construction phase is over and the plumbers were here today and the new gas line has been installed for my neighbor's apartment. I know this sounds convoluted, but their kitchen and my living room adjoin each other. If this phase is finished as planned this week on the other floors of the building, the line for my gas service will be installed -- but not turned on -- next week. That's not the end of the process, but it feels so good to have the project progress.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Happy walking!
     

16 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

It seems like their progress has taken forever. A wakling challenge is a great idea! I am unable to walk due to physical problems, so I will be your cheerleader!

Sandi said...

How is it there? Are things back to normal? I mean, pretty much.

Lisa said...

That much progress has been a long time coming!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope things get fixed soon and you can get back to normal. I don't walk every day but when I do, I keep a tally of the miles so I'll give that total at the end of the month. I like your challenge though! Hugs!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It has been so hot this summer and even putting on my fit bit has caused me distress ( got a rash on my arm, probably from sweat). I started walking again during these past few days when there the air was cooler. I try to add five hundred steps each day. Today will not be a good day with heat and humidity again, but this weekend is supposed to be glorious. I will try your challenge if Mother Nature is kinder to us.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'll take up your challenge as a reminder for me to get out walking more. I've been very lax on that score. The cooler days should help. I don't have any idea how many miles I walk or how many steps I take, but just the fact that I get out and do it is my goal.

Edna B said...

I would love to walk, but it's not to be. I used to walk miles everywhere. The memories are wonderful. You enjoy your walks every day. I'll enjoy the photos you share. Have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good luck with your walking challenge, Buttercup. I do walk everywhere possible, but some days find it difficult to reach beyond 5-6,000 miles. I too am glad for the arrival of Sept. because fall is my favorite season and the nearby park will become one of our walking excursions once again.

CHERI said...

First of all, thanks so much for dropping by my blog to "chat":) I do walk most mornings and "try" to get in 10,000 steps per day (don't always make that but today I actually got it before lunch!!!) I will "try" to keep up with your challenge but not promising:) I don't always walk on weekends and also when I have appts. or other things needing done that day. Good luck to all who do try though...we need to keep up our exercise especially in these tough times.

Jeanie said...

This is interesting -- I might give this one a try! Good luck!

Marcia said...

I'll give it a try, too. Luckily I have an app that shows my miles each day so I can keep track.

Susie said...

Carol, The gas line seems like a loooong process. But your building will be safe when it is done. Good for you walking. I wish I could have the energy to walk. I need to drive to the park and walk about. It's easier on my ankles. Blessings, stay safe. xoxo, Susie

Theresa said...

What a beautiful view! I know you enjoy getting out in your city and taking a walk. I can't wait to visit again someday, sigh! The gas will be on before it's cold, I believe that! They are working hard and it sounds like they are doing a great job. Have a blessed Saturday dear friend, HUGS!

TARYTERRE said...

your walking idea sounds like a plan. glad the gas renovation is almost complete. hang in there.

Cranberry Morning said...

Restoring gas line to the apartments sounds like a long process, like road construction in Wisconsin!! I like your idea of the walking challenge. I need to buy a pedometer!

Joy Nissen said...

Seems like that process has taken forever, so I imagine seeing it actually getting done is a good feeling! I will keep walking and try to remember to share pictures along the way!