Powered by Blogger.

Quilting Pink Saturday

 

Finishing the Quilt, a painting by Nan Phelps

I am not handy. More than one person has suggested I find an avocation other than knitting, sewing or any other craft that involves fabric and a needle of any kind. I still have memories of one of the worst home ec projects of all time, an olive green polished cotton dress, where more stitches were ripped out than were left to hold the dress together. That said, I love to learn about quilting and love to look at quilts.  

I found a treasure trove at American Folk Art Museum on Friday. The museum is in my neighborhood and I've passed it many times, but rarely go inside. It's a small museum, but the collection is beautifully curated. I was fascinated by many pieces, but the quilts in the current exhibition really caught my attention. 

Freedom, created in Parrott, Georgia in 1983, by Jessie B. Telfair

Diamond Four Patch in Cross Quilt, 
created in Boligee, Alabama, 1991 by Lureca Outland

A detail from the Diamond Four Patch in Cross Quilt

This is my favorite, a quilt with an inset of President Grover Cleveland. I was remiss in not getting the information about the quilter, but will be returning to the museum to see this exhibition before it closes in January and will follow up.  

Are there any quilters in Buttercupland? 

The weather has been perfect this weekend. I had lunch outdoors with friends yesterday and then we visited the Metropolitan Museum. It was much more crowded than the day of my visit last week, but we found places to enjoy with fewer people. There are several exhibits I want to see and both of them had long lines waiting to get into them. I'm going to plan to be at the museum when it first opens on weekdays to be able to see them without the long wait. My plan for tomorrow is to visit Lower Manhattan for the first time since March.  

A note on Nan Phelps (1904-1990), whose painting opens this Pink Saturday post. I hadn't heard of her before seeing this  painting on Friday. Her work is in a number of museums and is a well known folk artist. I love the color and detail in "Finishing the Quilt."

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and have a great rest of the weekend.  


6 comments

Terra said...

Lovely quilts and painting of quilters. My skill sets, like you, do not include sewing, quilting or knitting, but I love seeing others' projects.

Ginny Hartzler said...

No, I do not sew. Other than sewing on buttons, hemming, and mending tears. The quilts are gorgeous! I love looking at different quilts! They involve so much time and work that I would be afraid to actually USE one!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Like youy, BC, I am not at all handy with a needle and thread other than replacing a button or doing a quick, but not so pretty mending job. The quilts you showed here were very nice and what a joy to find this small museum. Also how nice that you and your friends could visit the Met and definitely a weekday return visit would be less crowded and would be my choice as well.

Edna B said...

Such beautiful quilts. I used to do a lot of sewing, not so much now. I do a lot of crocheting now and some knitting. I love the quilts and I enjoy watching the programs that show how to make the different quilts and patterns, but I have not made a quilt myself. It takes more patience and time than I'm able to give it. The painting of the quilters is quite lovely too. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm not really a quilter but have one I've been working on for a while now. My grandmother was the quilter and made up a quilt top already pieced to gather that just needs to be quilted together with som cotton and batting to make it nice and warm. I started out with only a hand frame to hold it in my lap and the stitching is slow. If I ever finish it I'll be sure to show a picture. I'm glad they had a section for American folk art in the museum. Quilts are definitely works of art.

Louca por porcelana said...

Gorgeous quilts!I don't sew.Hugs!