Powered by Blogger.

Blue Skies Smiling at Me

 

The beautiful Hudson River, ten miles above New York City

When I look across the Hudson, I  see the landscape paintings of the Hudson River School, first inspired by this area and the area north, the Catskill Mountains. It's not still wilderness -- you can see  the sprinkling of houses among the forests -- but the area remains preserved for the last 200 years. Thomas Cole, who is generally considered the first painter of this school of landscape painting, might recognize the area. 

My birthday was in July, but I spent yesterday enjoying lunch in a beautiful restaurant with this river view. It's a quick trip from Manhattan, but it seemed a world away. 

Giant sunflowers greeted us when we arrived. Great Italian cuisine and a fabulous dessert splurge, Apple and blackberry crisp with vanilla gelato. Worth every calorie. I try to eat sensibly most of the time, but I will only turn 70 once.  

I'm not a sailor, but this marina might convince me otherwise

I loved the meal and the company, but the view -- this time
looking north to Manhattan -- and the beautiful summer sky
 made my day complete. 

We finished the day with a quick supermarket stop. I had my pick of several new varieties of yogurt and found a few items I hadn't seen in any of my grocery shopping in Manhattan. I plan to blog about my finds in the next few days. I also am planning to continue my posts about new varieties of favorite foods, inspired by our blogger friend, Ginny. 

Goodbye to August and soon it will be goodbye to summer. It was still warm enough for flip flops and shorts today and I definitely enjoyed it.  Each warm day means being able to sit outside and meet a friend for a visit or have an iced coffee at one of the local places.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Happy Birthdsay, this was a big one! And what a beautiful day you had, thanks for sharing it with us! I am not too much older than you, 71. I love having different flavors of yogurt! I like the coffee, lemon, mint

Deanna Rabe said...

What a lovely place to celebrate a birthday!

Lynda said...

I am so thrilled for you that you were able to make that trip. Belated birthday celebration - - - or just a celebration of being able to travel and enjoy a gorgeous day - - - each day is to be celebrated is the lesson that 2020 has reinforced.
I know I have told you that I was raised in upstate NY, a little town called, Middleburgh. It was the "middle fort" between Schoharie and Cobleskill during the Revolutionary War. My mom worked for NYS in Albany for many, many years. I worked in the Catskill boarding houses waiting tables for two summers the first two years of the seventies. People would come "up" from the city for a week in the mountains. Ahhh - - - memories.
Yes - - 70 is another big number. It is pulling me to join it in January.

Edna B said...

I have never seen such beautiful photos of New York and the Hudson River. You definitely make it appear so exciting. I love these photos of the views from your luncheon table. I could handle that every day. Especially that walkway lined with sunflowers. I do hope you go back again soon. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have given us some lovely pictures of your blue sky day. Couldn't get much better than that/ Yes, time to enjoy these days while they last. Hope you have another wonderful day. It's clouding up here but no rain is expected so I can still get out and enjoy it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

you are so right in saying that calories don't count for a birthday treat, BC, especially for a memorable one like a new decade. That said, we make sure to enjoy a special treat every birthday because ALL are special these days! Thanks for sharing the beautiful views on such a lovely day. Welcome to my favorite season of Autumn🍂

Nellie said...

More happy birthday wishes! What a wonderful outing! We crossed the Hudson River last summer when we were on our return from New England.

Jeanie said...

This is so lovely! What a beautiful venue -- I love the work of the Hudson River School as well. And that marina makes me smile. I'd say you've had wonderful birthday times and I'm all for celebrating for as long as it takes!

Theresa said...

What beautiful scenes to enjoy! I know you had a great time. I would love to be there but next best thing is you sharing the beauty with us thru your pictures. Love the sunflowers! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Naqvee said...

I'm a 4th July born. I would love to visit Hudson River some day. Have heard a lot. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time over there. I'm in West coast and where I live we have creeks and lakes near by. We have a reservoir too and I have seen many kids flying kites there.
Water bodies calm me down. It's like I understand why it means to live with the flow and not be worries to the excess.
I was searching your other blog but seems like you write here often.
Visit me whenever you like. In real or virtual. I would love to read more about your adventures.
PS. I love gardening. Grew mammoth sunflowers last year and this year as well.

Gilbert Sound said...

Lovelyy blog you have