Powered by Blogger.

Five Years Later: When Is An Oreo Not an Oreo?

 

(Almost) All Oreos, all the time 

Five years ago I asked the question, "When is an Oreo not an Oreo?" We didn't quite settle the matter, but it came back into my consciousness during a visit to Target on Monday. I still think of an Oreo as two thin chocolate wafers surrounding a creme filling, but I may be one of the few that still believe that. 

First the carrot cake Oreos caught my eye...

Then I noticed the chocolate marshmallow
 with marshmallow pieces...

Next I saw the limited edition Maple Creme...

And though Halloween seems far away, 
Halloween Oreos are close by.
Oreo Boo!

I'm going to take a stand on this issue. An Oreo isn't carrot cake or have marshmallow pieces in the filling, as delicious as both sound to me. These variations are assorted sandwich cookies. I asked this question on Instagram, and one of my friends vouched for the lemon "Oreo." I respect her opinion, but to me, an Oreo will always be chocolate cookies and a creme filling. What are your thoughts? If you've tried one (or more) of the variations, which is your favorite?

I know that there are many more pressing issues at this moment, but I need a break from news, worry and the almost daily construction in my apartment, and think some of you may also need a time out from all that 2020 has thrown your way. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. Love and prayers especially to blog friends in Louisiana and Texas. 

18 comments

mxtodis123 said...

I know. We have just so many of everything. Enough is enough. Just give me my old fashioned Oreos and I'll be happy...although I do like the vanilla too.

Martha said...

I'm with you on this one!

Lynda said...

I agree with you - - an Oreo is the original chocolate cookie with the regular frosting. The rest would be "cousins"!
Praying that they are able to get the construction done quicker than anticipated and it will be soon. It truly is difficult to live in a construction zone.

Theresa said...

An Oreo is the regular kind to me, I love the thin ones😉. This post made we wanna run to the cookie aisle. Have a blessed day dear friend. Hugs

Gloria said...

The original Oreo for me.
Have a good day friend.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There's also a mint oreo cookie, BC, and let's not forget the "double stuffed" ones. That said, I am with you on this issue and there's nothing quite like the original cookie, which sadly we have not indulged in for quite some time, but after reading this post. And, you are so right in stating that we DO need a break from all the news, most not very good. Thoughts & prayers too for those in the path or the hurricane.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

There was no need to add other flavors. An Oreo is an Oreo and there is no reason to mess with perfection. I hate “new and improved” because it is seldom true. I don’t even like the “thin” or the double stuff ones. I like the Original; it is the masterpiece of cookies.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

My hubby likes to eat Tasty cake doughnuts and they come in all kinds of flavors too! I look at the ingredients....and back away! hahaha! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks, I could use this break away today. Cute post. I love all varieties of Oreas. Although I agree with you too. There's nothing like original Oreo cookie!

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with you on the Oreo's - two chocolate sides with cream in the middle - I can't think of the other flavors - yuck. I bet the orange is similar with just food coloring. The vanilla are okay too. Not the others!

Kate said...

I love the thin, mint Oreos. K

Debby said...

OMG if you hadn't posted this, I could have. My sentiments exactly. It's not right to mess with Oreos!

Edna B said...

I agree with you. All these other Oreos are just "add ons." Why is it that folks have to keep fixing what isn't broken yet? You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the lemon Oreos, even better than the original chocolate ones. I MUST try the maple and the marshmallow! Well, what about M & M's?? Do them on your next post. There are a million different kinds! I like the crispy ones and the dark chocolte ones. And then there are Kit Kat bars, they now come in mint and lemon and a lot of other flavors. SEE, don't get me started on sweets, I can talk forever!

Jeanie said...

Well, since I'm not world's biggest chocolate fan, my fave Oreos are either the Golden or the Lemon. The maple sound interesting, though!

Joy Nissen said...

I have tried the Carrot Cake Oreo, it's okay, but not divine! I have however fallen in love with the Caramel Coconut Oreo, it is divine and I hadn't seen the maple flavor here yet but am sure I would probably enjoy it also! Most do not live up to Oreo standards though!

GrammaH said...

I've never really been an original Oreo fan...just wasn't a cookie I grew up with. I do really like the lemon and the chocolate mint ones, though. 😁

GrammaH said...

I will have to look for the Caramel Coconut ones! Hubster would love those!