Powered by Blogger.

Dragon Fruit Pink Saturday

Let's meet the dragon fruit
 

 I first discovered the dragon fruit while perusing one of the grocery stores in the neighborhood a few years ago. This unusual and unknown collection was sitting in a basket calling out to me to take one home. They were pricey, but I was intrigued and one came home with me. 

I've since discovered that the dragon fruit is low in calories and sugar. It's also high in fiber and magnesium and has a host of useful antioxidants. Though it's grown in tropical and semi-tropical climates, the fruit is not especially sweet. The article I attached a link to describes it as a cross between a pear and a kiwi. 

Though it looks like it could injure you in preparing it, it's very easy to cut up and eat. It's nothing like cutting up a pineapple. I've now found them at the local fruit vendors and they are much less pricey. The fruit found at street vendors is often near the end of ripeness and need to be eaten quickly. This was one of my best bargains of the week at three for a dollar. 

The pink rind peels right off and the fruit is ready for eating. 

As long as we're chatting about preparing food, I'll give the latest update on the gas line project to restore gas to my building. I thought I knew about every step that needed to take place, but after two more visits by the contractors to look at the pipes, I discovered that there is another step. On Tuesday heavier machinery will be brought in to drill between the floors. My building was built in 1911 and is very sturdy, and that makes drilling between floors more difficult. We've been warned that this is a bigger project than the last construction, but I'm trying to stay optimistic that the outcome will be as dustless as the last project was.     

It's still summer, but not the hot and humid days of July. I've had two fun times with friends in the last few days and though we can use the rain, the week ahead is not as conducive to out of doors activities. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and thanks for joining the Pink Saturday fun. Friends in Colorado and California, prayers for safety from the fires and Gulf Coast friends, safety from the hurricanes. Take care, all, and stay well.  

11 comments

Theresa said...

Well that's a new one for me! I just might have to look at my store for that pretty/fruity treat! You are another day closer to getting your gas back on, sorry for all of the work that still has to be done. Enjoy your day dear friend, it's another rainy one here where I am. HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've never had dragon fruit so it was interesting to hear about it. I don't ever remember seeing in in our stores here. But now I'll be on the look out for it. It does sound like there may be some dust involved in the work ahead on the gas lines. Hopefully not much for you. Glad you are managing to have some good times, to carry you through the not so good ones. Will join you in praying for all those affected by the fires and hurricanes. At least we don't have those to endure. Somebody always seems to have it worse.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I don't think I've ever seen the dragon fruit but it looks interesting. We saw some passion flowers on a trail a couple of weeks ago and I'm anxious to go back and see if there's fruit there now! Take care!

Jeanie said...

This sounds so interesting. I'll have to check for it at the specialty market -- I've never seen it at the regular!

Edna B said...

The dragon fruit is very pretty, but I'm not tempted. I hope they get your gas fixed real soon. It's been taking forever to do it. The Ramen noodles sound good. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Nellie said...

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a dragon fruit! Whenever I have the chance, I’ll have someone look at my favorite market! That seems to be the most likely place. Hope all the repairs will go smoothly!

TARYTERRE said...

i really appreciated your post on dragon fruit. now that i understand it better, i'm definitely going to try it. i am not fond of kiwi, but i love pears, so... glad your apt utilities have been revamped.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have seen this fruit, but never tried any. Oh my, will this project EVER be done??? It would for sure test my patience. You should get a huge break on your utility bills.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That is an interesting looking fruit. Glad you were able to get them at a reasonable price.

You and the other tenants in your building are very patient people. I am not sure I would be able to handle all that disruption, especially now.
I hope all goes well and peace and quiet comes sooner than later, although that does sound like a massive job.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I've seen dragon fruit in our supermarket, but never tried one. Now after reading your post, I just may.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I too have never seen or tasted dragonfruit. Seeing it cut open, the seeds reminded me of kiwi fruit, which I have enjoyed.