Powered by Blogger.

100 for the 19th

Susan B. Anthony's home in Rochester, New York

Today marks the 100th anniversary of Tennessee voting to become the final state needed to ratify the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The 19th Amendment said that the right to vote cannot be determined by gender. After decades of activity many women in America would now be "given" the right to vote. There were twenty states where women already had the right to vote, including the trail blazing state of Wyoming which passed legislation in 1869, quickly followed by Utah in 1870 and Colorado by referendum in 1893. I grew up in Connecticut and always thought of it as a very progressive state, but just realized it was behind many other states. 

I've always valued the right to vote and still remember going to the polls with my parents when I was in elementary school. But I never thought about what it meant to women of my mother's generation, some of whom could remember when the 19th Amendment was enacted. 

But the this Amendment didn't give the right to vote to all women.  In states with Jim Crow laws, Black women (and men) didn't get the right to vote until the Civil Rights Act of 1965 was passed, an event I can remember. I watched history take place all around me for the monumental right to vote. 

I raise a toast to Susan B. Anthony and the many women who pushed to ensure that my mother and I and my generation would be able to vote. I also raise a toast to those who kept pushing so that forty-five years after the 19th Amendment was passed, the right to vote was extended to those who had been waiting to be able to vote.

Primary Day selfie, September 2018

We didn't have these cute stickers when I first voted in 1972, and that first ballot was absentee while I lived in Tennessee for graduate school. But to the best of my recollection I've only missed one vote, a primary vote for Mayor in 2009. During my working years I generally voted in the morning so nothing could come up later in the day to keep me from the polls. For a number of years I worked for an elected official and election days were busy days. I definitely didn't want to miss voting.  

I've been fascinated reading about this chapter in history. I became so intrigued in researching this post that it's now officially the day after Tennessee's ratification. I'm adding a link to my graduate alma mater's page on Nashville and Vanderbilt's commemoration this month. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Stay safe and keep cool.

13 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I didn't know some of this, so I learned a lot today! Thanks for this important lesson at just the right time!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is wonderful to have the right to vote. Sadly many don't take advantage of it. I saw where the President pardoned Susan B. on the news yesterday. We can be thankful for her and all the women who did so much so that we could vote. It's an honor and a privilege for me.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The women who came before us fought hard for our deserved rights and we honor them by voting. I am so proud of all the women today who have taken that power and ran and won a seat at the table. May the younger people continue to get involved in the fight for equality for all.

Jeanie said...

Did you ever see Ken Burns' documentary about Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton? Fabulous. I value that privilege of voting and I certainly hope we can keep our upcoming election clean and fair with all having good access to being able to vote safely and without fear.

Theresa said...

What a wonderful post. AND a great picture of you! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Pam said...

Good post! Voting is so important, esp for those who complain about who is is office, and then say they didn't vote because they're one vote wouldn't make a difference. It is a privilege to vote, and thank you Susan B. Anthony, Trump pardoned her yesterday!

Janie Junebug said...

Cheers to Susan B. Anthony!

Love,
Janie

thismammablogs.x said...

Truely beautiful post. Really hopenyou enjoyed your day x

Edna B said...

I enjoyed this post and learned something too. In my family, we enjoy the privilege of voting. And yes, I plan on voting in person as I usually do. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Nancy's Notes said...

Such a great post! I loved learning about some things I had not know! Thanks for sharing!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We should never take the privelege of being able to vote for granted, as sadly many will do even this year. Thanks, BC for the history lesson. It's always good to learn something new. We have decided to go to our local polling place vs. a mail-in ballot.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Interesting post, and great picture of you.
We should never take our privilege to vote for granted, or waste it by not voting either.

Susie said...

You go girl. Let's keep this right going. I just looked at the two blog post of food. Strange fruit. But oh those cookies. LOL. Blessings, stay safe. xoxo, Susie