Powered by Blogger.

Join Me on the Livestream




Beginning yesterday, New York City declared a state of emergency. The lights of Broadway were dimmed, many museums closed and all programs with more than 500 people were banned. 

I belong to a very large and active synagogue with over 3000 members. Generally there are over 500 people at both the Friday night and Saturday morning services. As of yesterday, Sabbath services will still be held,  but attendance will be limited to prayer leaders, Torah readers and families of teens that are B'nai  Mitzvah -- the Jewish ritual for thirteen year olds.  The services will be live-streamed to the rest of the congregation, or anyone else who would like to be a virtual part of the congregation. 

We are still having daily prayer services, both mornings and evenings on week days and Sunday mornings. They are in the big sanctuary and the chairs are spaced out to discourage close contact. I went last night and there were about 30 people, instead of the usual dozen that go to evening services. I'm planning to attend all week-night services as long as we can have them. I would be honored to bring all prayer requests with me. Leave them in the comments or if you'd like, send me an email. 

If anyone would like to join us for any of our services, this is the link to the livestream. There  are downloads for music and attached commentary for the Torah portion of the week.  

Let me add a note about the sanctuary. Our congregation's present building, pictured above was built in 1919. It is our fifth building, beginning with a building in Lower Manhattan in 1825. As the population moved uptown, so did our congregation, eventually to our present site on the Upper West Side. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and thanks for being part of Buttercupland. Take good care and wash your hands! 

10 comments

Hootin Anni said...

Be safe & remain healthy. That would be my prayer for YOU and all.

Ginny Hartzler said...

How wonderful of you, thank you so much! I think more churches need to do this!

Janie Junebug said...

Hello! Thanks for visiting Janie Junebug Righting & Editing.

Love,
Janie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So many cancellations here as well, including church services. I also heard that some elective surgery procedures were being cancelled. Best we can all do is wash hands, touch face less, social carefully and pray much.

Rose said...

I wonder just what all is going to close...my granddaughter's school is cancelled till April 3, and even then they may decide to stay closed longer.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm glad you let us know what's going on there. I'm keeping everyone in my prayers! Stay healthy my friend! Hugs, Diane

TARYTERRE said...

i'm glad your prayer services continue. your congregation is right on top of things and that is good. if you could say a prayer for my younger daughter i would appreciate it. she's a microbiologist. she thinks she may have been exposed to virus. she lives in colorado. and is having a meltdown over it until they get testing. right now shes on portable oxygen for a chronic lung condition. so that makes things worse. I don't usually ask for prayers outside our family, but i think all the help she can get right now might help. thanks in advance carol.

Theresa said...

It is sad to me but necessary to keep everyone safe! I am not attending our Church service tomorrow. They are having the morning service but warned everyone NOT to hug or shake hands. It scares me because there are SO many elderly who are in the congregation. I will just stay in and catch a service on-line! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Sandell Morse said...

This is such a wonderful idea. Thank you. Re: a post on Facebook on which my friend N. West Moss commented. Are you posting new books coming during this challenging time? sandellmorse.com.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Our bishop has given a dispensation from going to church for the next 3 weeks, so I'm staying at home. Good idea to have tht live streaming. and to cut back son large group services. Please add my prayer for a cure or a vaccine for limiting this virus in the coming days. Take care and yes, I'm washing hands and praying as I do so. Better safe than sorry.