Powered by Blogger.

It's Time for the A to Z Challenge


Since 2013 I've been a participant in the A to Z Challenge. The challenge begins on April 1 with a blog post that features the letter A and concludes on April 30 with Z. I've had a number of themes over the years, including New York City and New York City Subways. My all-time favorite theme was Coffee and I followed up with Coffee Around the World last year. In the interest of truth in blogging, I have finished the Challenge once, in 2013. I'm sad to admit last year I only got as far as "I is for Iced Coffee." 

Despite my poor performance in past years I begin each new year with enthusiasm and optimism that I will complete the Challenge. I wasn't sure I would do the Challenge this year. I was scheduled to leave for Florida on April 23 and begin a transatlantic cruise on April 25. I started planning this trip with my high school friend, Susan, last March as we both recovered from surgery. We had stops in the Azores and Morocco -- both of which I've never visited -- and Southern Spain. The cruise ended in Barcelona and after Barcelona we planned to spend a few days in Porto, Portugal. From Porto we would fly home to Newark. We had the cruise booked, flights booked, hotels in Barcelona and Porto and I'd arranged for a tour in Taroudant, Morocco. I even had a new (to me) dress to wear for formal nights. Today I canceled the hotel in Porto and wrote to the nice people I'd arranged the tour with. And, yes, it made me sad.

All of that said, I'm once again beginning the A to Z Challenge. Due to circumstances far beyond my control, I have every faith that I will complete it in 2020. In fact, the Challenge will be one of my main activities next month. Today in blogs around the world Challenge topics are being revealed and Buttercupland is proud to be part of it. On April 1 we begin "Around the World from A to Z." We will be going around the world virtually to some of my favorite places, and you are invited to be part of the fun.

I almost could have pretended that today was a regular day. I went to the bank and walked in the neighborhood. I bought a ream of paper at the local stationery store. But I also made a quick stop at one of the local groceries looking for spinach. I  added two pounds of dried kidney beans to my basket and that was so out of my norm. Kidney beans are not my beans of choice and I'm not having a crowd over for a big three bean salad, but when I see shelf stable protein I buy it. As of tomorrow, restaurants are only serving take-out and delivery, my Y is closed, my hairdresser is closed and Weight Watchers is going virtual on Thursday. 

This was the scene at my nearest Trader Joe's this afternoon. The line went to the next corner. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care, be well and wash your hands! 

8 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so very sorry about your much anticipated trip!!

Carol said...

We are also cancelling our anniversary trip which makes me very sad. I hate to hear that such a special trip as yours had to be cancelled as well. The lines are like that here too, although people are being told not to panic buy. The grocery stores are doing impromptu hirings as well. I may see if I can work a few hours a week.

Mevely317 said...

What a disappointment! But, I believe everything happens for a reason.

A trans-Atlantic cruise sounds like the stuff dreams are made of. (Just a little later, not never … right?) I'm looking forward to travelling with you via Blogland!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are not alone, lots of people's traveling plans have been cancelled. With spring breaks on the horizon a lot of kids are being stuck at home with online school, instead of a vacation. I have several disappointed grand children. A to z around the world should be fun since you have been so many places. I'll be watching out to see your posts. Good Luck. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Weekends in Maine said...

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. It is an interesting time. Looking forward to your virtual trip through the A to Z Challenge. Weekends In Maine

Amelia said...

I love reading travel posts during the Blogging A to Z season! Sorry about your trip though, there's always next time!

Narayana Rao K.V.S.S. said...

"Around the World from A to Z." We will be going around the world virtually to some of my favorite places, and you are invited to be part of the fun." I have a blog on this theme. Shall mention your posts in it.

This year, I am trying to document IE practice in Top Global Engineering Companies. #AtoZChallenge April Writing
Industrial Engineering Practice in Top Global Manufacturing Companies - Top 100

It is a success this year. I already have 600 page views to two posts related to this theme.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I join you in your sadness for not having your upcoming cruise to enjoy at this time but I will also join you in participating in the 2020 AtoZ Blogging Challenge!
There is nothing better than blogging in times of social distancing and nothing better than my friends in the Blogging world to lift my spirits at such time!
And hey whilst I can think of no better place to end than with an iced coffee with you in 2019 - let's see how we both go and race you to Z!
Love Wren xx