Powered by Blogger.

I Get by With a Little Help From My Friends

Consider me planted!

I used to have a saying at work, "You live and die by your friends." I worked at a very large New York City/State agency. Our responsibilities were literally 24/7 and issues, projects and challenges seemed to arrive from every direction. I learned early in my almost twenty year tenure that I needed the help of my colleagues to do my job.  No matter how hard I worked or how smart I thought I was, I needed colleagues who could help me when my abilities alone weren't enough. 

At first that saying was metaphoric, but as we experienced September 11 while in our office just blocks from the World Trade Center, we literally depended on each other for our lives and well-being. I was blessed with amazing colleagues who became dear friends. Together we survived the aftermath of September 11, a major blackout, the World Financial Crisis of 2008 and then Superstorm Sandy. There were many difficult days, but I never had to experience them alone.

Now we have entered another dark time, full of uncertainty. My work saying came back to me today. In life now, as it was at work years ago, we are all in this together. But I thought about the wording carefully and I've amended it to, "I live by my friends." My syntax is a little off here, but it sums up my need and I expect, all of our needs for company, socialization, friendship. One way the days of darkness will be made lighter is by the world beyond our doors, our friends near and far. 

Please be in touch and keep in touch. Don't be shy about needing a kind word or an email. As the Beatles put it, "I get by with a little help from my friends." True in 1967 and definitely true in 2020.

Happy St. Patrick's Day from the River Liffey, Dublin

On a different note -- somewhat -- this is a very different St. Patrick's Day than usual, but it's still St. Patrick's Day. This is a memory from my trip last summer to Dublin with my dear friend, Betsy, and what wonderful memories they are. I haven't looked at my Ireland pictures in quite awhile until this morning and it brought back our great adventure. I'd like to share some of our favorites and that will be tomorrow's post. 

 As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care, be well and wash your hands! 

16 comments

My Tata's Cottage said...

Wise words. I am writing cards to people in the local nursing homes in my neighborhood. I think people often forget the most vulnerable. So I am going to write cards and send them in a big package asking the facilities to distribute them to people who need them. Our middle was in Ireland in 2016 and she cherishes all the photos and adventures she had. My hubby has Irish on his dad's side so we enjoy celebrating. Since he is at work since you can not take scanners home with you his office is quiet. Only his dept. and the mail room continue their work. Only attorneys and their support staff are working from their homes. I am praying his bus will still run as he said only 6 passengers including =himself were riding yesterday and today.
My faith and allegiance is to God so I worry as little as I possibly can because we are in that over 60 crowd. My hubby has asthma so I pray for him. It has been quite a different experience but many friends and loved ones need prayer so I am always able to do that much.
Take care, stay safe and thank you for sharing. HUGS LOVE HEALTH

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a gorgeous picture! I am so glad you are staying in and keeping safe. We are as well...I am 71 and Phil is 79. We all need each other more than ever.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a beautiful photo of Dublin! And I enjoyed reading your thoughts and catching onto these words of wisdom. I want to keep blogging to stay in touch with my blog buddies and sending cards or making calls is always thoughtful! Have a good day and stay healthy my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

mxtodis123 said...

Very wise words. I've started calling my peers from the center every day. I'm 73 and relatively healthy aside from high blood pressure, but I just can't imagine how it is for my 91 year old friend who lives alone and is almost blind. I check on her several times a day.

JFM said...

It is good to have and to hear from friends.
Blogging also keeps us connected to the human race.your photo is stunningly beautiful!

Linda M. Conley said...

Very wise words from a very wise woman, grin. Happy St. Patrick's Day, my friend and I am so jealous of your visit to Dublin. smiles

Deb J. in Utah said...

Lovely post and good reminder that we do all need each other.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wise words, and I love that photo.
Happy St. Patty's Day.
Stay well!

Chatty Crone said...

Very beautiful photo. Great words to live by. Happy St. Pat's Day.

DeniseinVA said...

Happy Saint Patrick's Day Buttercup! A very thought provoking post and lovely photos.

TARYTERRE said...

beautifully put. happy st. patricks day.

Theresa said...

Very true and we will make it to the other side of this just like the other sad times you mentioned. Every time they say anything on the news about what's going on in New York, I think about you! Stay safe my friend, so thankful you have friends to help you if you need them. Sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

Elaine Sipos said...

Love this post! This too shall pass ❤️

Deanna Rabe said...

This is the lovely thing about blogging - the friendships and encouragement!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So true that we need others. We are all interdependant on each other.What would do without others. We cannot possibly go it alone. I wonder how the celebration in Dublin was affected. Such a pretty place to visit with such nice memories too!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Buttercup and we should definitely keep in touch with folks, not just online, but through calls, emails, and incredibly to many - snail mail. There's nothing like a card, note or letter to brighten someone's day and it's something to see and read again as they desire. We all need friends, even those who claim to be introverts. Glad you have such a wonderful group as do we and I'm sure others. And, it's not necessary to have a large number because it's the quality and not the quantity. Thanks for these wise words in this post.