Powered by Blogger.

R Is for Rector Street

Alexander Hamilton's grave in Trinity churchyard.
 
Our hint in the last post was the Federalist Papers, so it may come as no surprise that we're stopping to pay respect to one of the authors of the Federalist Papers, Alexander Hamilton, who is among many figures of Colonial and Federal New York buried in the churchyard. This site is just one block from the northern entrance to the Rector Street station on the Broadway local line, the #1.
 
The same view, but at twilight. In the not-so-far distance One World Trade Center.
 
I spent time searching for a historical fact about the name for Rector Street. My belief is that at one time the rectory for Trinity Church was here and hence the street was name. But, alas, I found no actual information to support this assumption. We'll just have to call it a theory. Trinity Church had its beginnings in 1696 when a group of Anglicans asked for a charter granting legal status to their worship. New Amsterdam became New York in 1664. The first church in New Amsterdam was a Reformed church founded in 1628.  
 
The original building for Trinity Church was built shortly after 1696 at the head of Wall Street, looking to the Hudson River. In 1705 Queen Anne made the land grant that the church had received permanent with a gift of 215 acres, where the church still stands. There have been a number of different buildings and there is a cemetery further uptown, but the site bestowed in 1705 by Queen Anne is still the home of Trinity Church.  
 
The northern entrance to the Rector Street station
 
When I worked in lower Manhattan this was my subway entrance. I didn't always appreciate the five block walk when it was cold and windy, the wind coming off the Hudson River. But I always appreciated the view of the church and the churchyard and knowing I was viewing history every day. 

The same view as above, but with a different perspective to include One World Trade Center. Walking north on from the station we come to the still on-going construction for the World Trade Center site.

It's April 30 and I am supposed to have completed my A to Z Blogging Challenge. Obviously, that hasn't happened. There are eight more letters to feature. I've enjoyed A-R and learned a lot about the history of New York. I've also discovered artists that are new to me. I hope to do S, U and V this week and finish the remainder of the alphabet later in May. There are a few books I'd like to share and photographs of a quick trip next week. Thank you all for coming with me as we've traveled the subways and streets of New York.

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy May! 

13 comments

Ann said...

Looks like such an exciting place to live and work. I've never been there but hope to one day. Thanks for stopping by today.
Ann

Anonymous said...

I loved the history and the amazing photos. I can only imagine how cold your walk to this station was when you worked. Wishing you a delightful day.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes 5 blocks to walk in winter would not be the nicest for sure, but you do have a stunning view there. History is wonderful but still there are times we have to fill in the blanks so to speak. You have so much to see and do there that you have much to write about. I'm glad you'll be finishing up the rest of a-z in May.

Chatty Crone said...

You did a great job with the A to Z challenge.
I did not know all that about Alexander Hamilton.
Where were you on 9-11 and were you and your home safe?
sandie

Pondside said...

I always enjoy your down-to-earth and woman-scaled views of your great city!

Susie said...

Carol, I am always amazed at the little park areas in the big city. I love seeing trees among the buildings. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

We have all learned so much from these posts. I have enjoyed them and look forward to more this month. Great job, Carol.

Anonymous said...

I've visited Trinity Church, but there's a lot of history in your post that I didn't know.

I can't recall if I've commented before, but I'm enjoying your A to Z posts. I'm interested in New York City history and I'm a public transit geek. I look forward to seeing the rest of your posts.

Dee said...

Dear Carol, it's great that you've learned even more about the city you love. Thank you for sharing with us your new learning and also your experiences with the various subway entrances. I've found this whole A-Z theme of yours enthralling. Peace.

TARYTERRE said...

i have enjoyed my walk around new york with you. so much to see.

Marcy said...

Thank you so much for more wonderful history stories. I was just able to enjoy attending the musical Hamilton with my husband this past weekend, so the timing of this post was perfect for me! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your posts!

JazzFeathers said...

Charming stop. I love that photo with the lamps (I dont' know where my fascination with photos with lamps comes from).

Pityu you didn't finish the challenge in April, but I hope you'll eventually come to it. This si a great series and something quite unique.
Thanks for sharing your discoveries :-)

Terra said...

I'm guessing you are right about the origin of the name Rector Street. That was a nice stroll down the street.